This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Who is monitoring Cisco IPT with Orion?

We are trying to better understand how our customers are using the Orion family to monitor their Cisco IPT environments. This includes monitoring Call Manager, IPCC, Meeting Place, and Unity.

You can be using any Orion products to accomplish this. This is your chance to brag about how you configured a set of UnDPs from NPM to monitor call stats. How you use IP SLA to keep a handle on phone and gateway registrations or groups of APM component monitors to watch the services and perfomance counters for Unity.  Whatever you did to gain deeper insight into your network, here's the chance to tell everyone.

Who's got something interesting out there?

• Hi Mav,
    Right now we are not doing a whole lot:
    IP SLA defaults on CUCM.
    IP SLA MOS scores from each branch router back to central.
    NPM UnDP for channels in use on the voice gateways.

What would be really awesome, although I don't know which module this fits under, possibly with the VoIP under IP SLA.

Integration with the CUCM Server via the Serviceability API (http://developer.cisco.com/web/sxml/home) Here you could obtain heaps of information from trunk utilisation to system health.

Playing with this data in APM is somewhere on my todo list....

Thanks,
    Aaron 

• We have some basic monitoring in place including some IP SLAs.  We've done a couple UnDPs for call counting but we have RTMT installed and it gives us that data real time and that's usually when we need it.  I would love to do more with Orion but haven't had time.

We do monitor concurrent agent logins using APM and that has been very helpful to make sure we aren't getting close to our license count.

We would love to have some of the same things that RTMT does built right in, we have:

CUCM 7.0
    UCCX 7.0
    Unity Connection 7.1

• We use APM.  Under the "VOIP" template is the following

-services for Unity server 1

-services for Unity server 2

-Services for IPCC

-and just to get CCM 6 in APM we watch the CallManager process on all 5 boxes (this is where I think there is a lot of room for imporovement , the current canned items do not work well)

• Hi All,

We currently use one of the APM Templates to monitor our Cisco Call Managers.

Have some UnDP's in place as well to collect Channels in Use.

Also using IP SLA to monitor the MoS between most of our sites.

Thanks

• We have built custom APM templates, Syslos and associated alerting to monitor the processes of our Contact Center and Call Processing system on a global platform.  Call Manager, Unity, SQL Servers, CVP, EIM, Admin Workstations, PGs, Router/Loggers, AMC, Presence....

We also monitor Voice Gateways for with UnDPs for call volume, trunk utilization and registered phones.

Regards,

Stacy

• Thanks for the replies everyone!

I'll be reaching out to you individually to talk about this subject in more depth.

• Hi Mav,

We are currently designing our UC monitoring environment using Solarwinds.  Can you provide me some more information on any templates that can be used to monitor Unity servers specifically?

Thanks,

Keith

• Mav,

I'd be interested in the results of your findings as well.  I'm currently doing the same thing Keith is, designing a monitoring solution for our UC environment using our Orion environment.  We have some of the components of the Cisco Unified Management suite (Operations Manager, Service Monitor, Server Statistics Manager) but my boss likes the idea of having everything monitored with one tool. 

Thanks,
    Kevin

• if anything happens in that are I would love to be informed as well...

We currently dont monitor CUCM or CCM very well which I would love to change...

I will subscribe to this thread =)

• We currently have over 40+ Cisco call managers and use NPM, NCM, and IPSLA to get what we can.  We plan to purchase APM to monitor the services running on them, but we are looking for more detail on the phone side.  A good inventory of the phones, their type and stats would be very helpful. We are also looking to monitor our Avaya IP systems but I have found little time to explore what can be done with Orion for that product.  We are however using NPM and custom pollers to keep close eye on the Cisco Telepresence systems... 30 and growing this Q.  Would be nice if some of the basics were rolled into a package to show the room status, I can give more detail if needed.  With the little time given we have been able to tweek Orion to give us very good monitoring, but would like to see more outside of Cisco products, as well as more detail into the current Cisco Products.  You might think of getting a call together and let everyone brainstorm with ideas they have...