This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Compare running-config against a file (the "standard" config)

We have a standard router template.  I'd like to be able to compare the running config against a standard router template. This will let us quickly identify abnormal items.

I see a way to compare 2 files and a way to compare startup config to running config but I don't see a combination compare a file against a running config.  Can this be done?  If not it is an idea for an enhancement that may not be too hard to add since the logic already exists via the other 2 compares.

• Hi tbilan,

Is the "standard router template" a basic config that you would like to compare against running configurations?

You can actually load the config into NCM for that particular Node. Then set it to "Baseline Config".

Thereafter, when you are downloading the Config from the device, you can choose to "Compare to last Baseline Config"

Is that what you are referring to?

• Hi Nding,

Thanks for the response but I posted this in the CatTools forum.

• Hi tbilan,

My bad :P

Seems like the current Activities can't support what you require as you have indicated.

Let's hope that a developer comes in and inform if this can be added as a new feature.

• Hi all -  dev answered on this one while I was out - sorry I'm still catching up with my email so I apologize for the delay in answering. So you can do this in CatTools, but it's a little bit difficult to set up. 

From dev: You'd basically have to set-up a Report.Compare.Two files activity for each device (as the Report.Compare.Two files activity does not run against devices).

So, this is fine if you just want to compare a couple of devices, but not very practical if you have hundreds.
    The way you'd do this to create a 'Device.Backup.Running Config' activity to generate the current running config for a device.  The default current config file name is static (i.e. does not contain DateISO types of filename variables which may change with each run of the activity).
    Next create a Report.Compare.Two files activity and specify the first file as your base config template and the second as the Current Config file as specified in the Device.Backup.Running Config activity.

As you can see, it's really a workaround. Our NCM product is much better suited for this use case and will do it out of the box. 
    --Christine