4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2011 3:18 PM by mdriskell

Discovery Duplication

David Smith

Hi All,

Firstly I apologise if this issue is known or something easily fixed if I had spent more than an hour searching these forums :P

I have recently upgraded from SL2000 to SLX for my Orion and I have started the long job of scanning my entire network (by small subnets due to timeout - a whole other issue let's not go there) and the problem I am having is that the discovery is detecting devices I already have in my system, but on a different interface.

Example:

Most of my previous interfaces were added via the Loopback IP Address, and then I monitor the Serial / ATM & Ethernet interfaces.

So once my discovery is complete I have the same entry twice but one entry is my original one monitoring just 1 or 2 interfaces, and then I have the new entry based on the Ethernet IP which is monitoring all interfaces that were Up (as part of the discovery options)

What I need to do now is go through them all manually, delete the entry with the Ethernet IP as the Node IP, and then perform a List Resources on the original entry with Loopback IP and select the additional interfaces that I wasn't monitoring before due to licence limitations.

There must be an easier way of making Solarwinds detect that the router already exists and simply add the new resources to it ?

Dave

• Re: Discovery Duplication
          Donald_Francis

This is something several of us have complained about.  I consider it a huge issue and one that bars me from using disvoery.  I have upward of 1500 devices so manually doing anything is impossible.  The discovery needs to track hostname or serial or something to notice that there is a duplicate and to only list it once.

If this functioned I could run auto scans weekly and catch everything but that is not currently the case.

David Smith

Thanks Donald,

Glad I'm not the only one having this problem makes me feel a bit better about sitting here for the last two days manually ammending all my entries :(

I am surprised that there isn't some way to tie the SNMP Name together I could understand if I had made a forced name change to the Node Caption ID, but almost 90% of my devices show the correct SNMP Name so I don't need to ammend it.

Oh well Thanks anyway at least my mind is at rest now.

todd@pbso.org

Has anyone from Solarwinds development ever answered this or have any plans to fix it?  I have the same issue and was told by support to make suggestions via thwack.

mdriskell

Yeah this is an issue that has been a problem for me since I started using Solarwinds almost 6 years ago.  The inability to recoginize and poll more than 1 IP per device is a major flaw IMHO with the product.  I am a big advocate of the product and absolutely love it but this lack of a feature has caused me multiple problems and forced me on some occassions to have to monitor a device more than once just to get the polling to the individual IP addresses.