This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

The OID is not supported

I have setup a custom poller to alert me when there is a change in the status of an array on our HP servers using the following OID: 1.3.6.1.4.1.232.3.2.3.1.1.4

I have several servers that return the result: The OID is not supported

I didn't think much of it and was researching the reason why this would be as most of our other servers are giving back valid results and are working properly in the alert manager. What has added to the confusion is that one of the servers that was giving back valid results ended up crashing on us. We rebuilt the server with all of the original hardware and now we get the The OID is not supported result on this server as well. I have and verified SNMP connectivity with the device.

Also, I am still fairly new to SolarWinds so needless to say I am VERY confused as to how OID's really work. Are they dependent on software loaded on the clients that are being monitored or are they embedded in the firmware of the device to be monitored.

PLEASE HELP!!!!

• You probably need to install the HP management software - look on the HP site. People often use the SmartStart CD.

The HP OIDs I use are...

1.3.6.1.4.1.232.3.2.2.2.1.5 - RAID accelerator status

1.3.6.1.4.1.232.3.2.5.1.1.37 - drive condition

1.3.6.1.4.1.232.6.2.6.7.1.6 - fan speed (high = "oh no! server is probably going to overheat & shut itself down!")

1.3.6.1.4.1.232.6.2.6.4 - fan status

1.3.6.1.4.1.232.6.2.14.4 - memory status

1.3.6.1.4.1.232.6.2.9.3.1.4 - PSU status. Note that it will indicate PSU failure if a power supply is slotted in but not connected to the mains supply.

1.3.6.1.4.1.232.6.2.6.1 - overall thermal status

• The HP Management software is already loaded. Would be nice if there was a way to know what the OID was dependent upon to function.

• bmvernil,

The OID you mention is listed within the SolarWinds MIB.

For more information about OIDs and how they are used with the Universal Device Poller, see the following sections in the SolarWinds Orion NPM Administrator Guide:

Open the Universal Device Poller and test the OID you've provided against the HP device that is returning the unsupported OID error. You should get an integer value that you can then map to appropriate text. These steps are listed the Monitoring MIBs with Universal Device Pollers chapter.

It's not exactly clear what you mean by "there was a way to know what the OID was dependent upon to function." Could you possibly explain further?

Thanks,

• Is "HP Insight Management Agents", from the HP site, installed? That's necessary to get HP-specific polling working.

• Hi Andrew,

What I mean is the 1.3.6.1.4.1.232. portion of the OID is for HP I get that part. When you select the complete OID string your looking for how do you know if it is dependent upon a particular piece of hardware or software within the server to function properly? My example is that we rebuilt a server with the exact same hardware and before the rebuild I was able to use the string 1.3.6.1.4.1.232.3.2.3.1.1.4 to monitor the status of the array, after the rebuild I started getting the OID is not supported result???????? I am very confused as to why and how to fix it.

I have also run into this situation with Cisco devices which of course don't have software loaded on them other than firmware updates that can be done.Wher I wanted to monitor a function and some would give me valid results and others the OID is not supported message on others.

I did read the Admin Guide and I already understand what is written there.

Thanks,

Ben

• Ben,

You are correct to assume that if your hardware and software are the same you should be getting the same results.

When you use UnDP to test your OID against your HP server, do you get a result?

If you get a result in this test, but still do not get a result in the web console, you should submit a technical support ticket so we can look at your actual installation to determine the source of the discrepancy.

If you do not get a result, it's a pretty sure indication the OID you are testing does not match the device on which you are testing it, indicating some difference introduced during your rebuild.

• Ben,

Are you seeing results similar to what is reported in this post?

If so, submitting a technical support ticket is probably your best option right now.

• Andrew,

No, I do not get the OID branch for 1.3.6.1.4.1.232 only for .77 & .311

As I had said before the hardware is exactly the same and as far as we know the software is the same but the HP managers may be different from the original.

Again what I'm asking is how do you know what the dependencies are for a particular OID to work?

Thanks again,

Ben

• Ben,

What version of NPM are you currently using. I have just confirmed that the MIB provided with the latest version (10.0 SP1) does indeed recognize the OID you are trying to use, as shown in the following screencap:

For reference, the OID description is as follows:

Logical Drive Status.

The logical drive can be in one of the following states:

Ok (2)
    Indicates that the logical drive is in normal operation mode.

Failed (3)
    Indicates that more physical drives have failed than the fault tolerance mode of the logical drive can handle without data loss.

Unconfigured (4)
    Indicates that the logical drive is not configured.

Recovering (5)
    Indicates that the logical drive is using Interim Recovery Mode. In Interim Recovery Mode , at least one physical drive has failed , but the logical drive's fault tolerance mode lets the drive continue to operate with no data loss.

Ready Rebuild (6)
    Indicates that the logical drive is ready for Automatic Data Recovery. The physical drive that failed has been replaced, but the logical drive is still operating in Interim Recovery Mode.

Rebuilding (7)
    Indicates that the logical drive is currently doing Automatic Data Recovery. During Automatic Data Recovery , fault tolerance algorithms restore data to the replacement drive.

Wrong Drive (8)
    Indicates that the wrong physical drive was replaced after a physical drive failure.

Bad Connect (9)
    Indicates that a physical drive is not responding.

Overheating (10)
    Indicates that the drive array enclosure that contains the logical drive is overheating. The drive array is still functioning , but should be shutdown.

Shutdown (11)
    Indicates that the drive array enclosure that contains the logical drive has overheated. The logical drive is no longer functioning.

Expanding (12)
    Indicates that the logical drive is currently doing Automatic Data Expansion. During Automatic Data Expansion, fault tolerance algorithms redistribute logical drive data to the newly added physical drive.

If you aren't seeing the MIB anywhere in Orion NPM--though I think you've said this is not the case--you might consider downloading the latest MIB from your Customer Portal.

As far as determining valid OIDs for your device, you should complete a MIB walk of your HP device or contact HP support. In any event, HP support can provide you more information about the OID support for your specific hardware and software build.

• Turns out that in order to use most of the OID's for HP that HP Insight Management must be loaded.