5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2010 8:44 AM by bshopp

Schedule Network Discovery for specific time.

jkennedy

I would like the abilaity to schedule a network discovery for a specific time.

I also see the need to identify discovered nodes as reviewed without adding them to the ignore list or adding them to NPM. I've also seen some nodes being discovered by the scanning engine which exist in Orion and being included in the results as found.  

• Re: Schedule Network Discovery for specific time.
          bshopp

If a device has multiple IP's that respond to discovery, if we discover them as apart of a single discovery profile we will de-duplicate them.  However, if you scan the same subnet in two different discovery profiles this de-duplication will not occur.  I have an enhancement in to do this.

Can you define further running a discovery at a certain time, what time do you want to do it?  With 10 you can schedule it to run at a specific time.

For the nodes which you don't want to add to Orion, but don't want to ignore them, where would you put them?  You don't want to monitor them, so why not ignore?

jkennedy

If a device has multiple IP's that respond to discovery, if we discover  them as apart of a single discovery profile we will de-duplicate them.   However, if you scan the same subnet in two different discovery  profiles this de-duplication will not occur.  I have an enhancement in  to do this.

I will look to see if the network is being duplicated on two different scans as you describe.

Can you define further running a discovery at a certain time, what time  do you want to do it?  With 10 you can schedule it to run at a specific  time.

I see options to scan daily at a specific time or custom which is every x number of hours. Neither of these two options really lets me say run weekly on Mondays at 8am.

For the nodes which you don't want to add to Orion, but don't want to  ignore them, where would you put them?  You don't want to monitor them,  so why not ignore?

You make a good point.  I guess the issue actually relates back to the first issue of nodes appearing in the scan that already exist in Orion. If you select a node in the results which already exists in Orion and it gets skipped, the node is not removed from the results as it is when its set to ignore.

bshopp

Regarding the time schedule, you can specify customer and then set to 168 hours or equivalent depending on what time you schedule it for a week later, but point taken we can enhance the usability there for sure.

lbyoung

It would be very useful to add a weekly scan to the schedule option.  I have 5 scans that I want to run after hours and have gone through the process of running each and then changing them to 168 hours, but sometimes the scans do not seem to follow the logic.  I have some that still run daily and another that runs at random times.  Only 2 of the 5 consistently run at the correct time and day.  Opened a ticket and was told it would be put in as a feature request.