13 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2018 12:41 PM by Mike Lomax

Disable Transient Period

hhernandez

Every time IPAM makes an scan of a subnet if a IP in a used status does not respond, automatically change its status to transient  and if this continue until the transient period we set at the Subnet Scan Settings,  the ip change its status to available.

Is there a way to disable the transient period?

• Re: Disable Transient Period
          macnugetz

You can't disable the transient period, but you can specify the duration anywhere between .2 and 340 days.

HTH,

Craig

hhernandez

I know i can set the duration of the transient period between this range. but i need to disable it.

If there is no way to do this, Can i configure an alert that send me a mail when the transient period of an specific IP is near the transient limit? or to send me a mail when IP changes its status from transient to available at the end of the period?

Thanks

macnugetz

Unfortunately, we don't have a good workaround for you here.  I've logged your alert question as a feature request.

-Craig

ssaluga

I too would like to suggest this as a feature request.  We have just purchased IPAM but find the transient period limiting us.  Right now we use the address manager in Engineers Toolset and it does not mark any addresses after any given period of time.  We have several subnets that reside in our DMZ or externally that are not reachable via our internal network.  We keep those in the database to keep track of them even though we know they cannot be scanned.  Marking them available after a given period of time kind of defeats the purpose of putting some subnets in the database to manage them.

Thanks,

Scott Saluga

Questionario

yes, we would also like to set the transient period to stick forever...

How can I set it to 340days?

Hi Scott,

since you can't scan those subnets (not reachable) than there is no point to scan them.
                            By checking Disable 'Automatic Scanning' in subnet properties particular subnet would not be scanned at all. Switching from transient to available is done only when processing scan result. Subnet with disabled 'Automatic Scanning' keep its values unless it is manually changed by editing or importing.

hhernandez

By checking Disable 'Automatic Scanning' in subnet properties particular subnet would not be scanned at all. Switching from trasient to available is done only when processing scan result. Subnet with disabled 'Automatic Scanning' keep its values unless it is manually changed by editing or importing.

But if disable the 'Automatic Scanning' then my subnets wont be updated and thats the hole point of it, right?  

ssaluga

That's good information to know and I will use that on those specific subnets.  But, what if you have a unix or micorsoft cluster or some other situation and some of the IPs given out of that subnet are not reachable but others are?  If I put notes in for that IP address and the transient period ends all of my notes will disappear.  I would just like the ability to turn off the transient period altogether.

We have register that as feature request.

For now, if you have unreachable IPs you can configure given IPs to never go into transient or available state automatically by one of following ways:

a) set IPs status as Reserved

b) set IPs scanning as 'Off'

Mike Lomax

I know this is an old post but your comment macnugetz differed from what I see in the current IPAM Admin Guide but helps make sense of what I see Transient Duration is set to in our systems.  Maybe the Guide has a typo or maybe the range has changed.  You said here the range is ".2 to 340" and the guide says " 2 to 340" without the dot.  Our system is configured with 1 in the field and I came to Thwack to try to figure out what 1 would do since the guide did not include 1 in the allowed range.

Can you, or anyone else for that matter, clear this up?