10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2010 5:52 PM by trebor11584

NetFlow not showing any data

trebor11584

Hi,

I have some questions about how NTA works, I was wondering why NTA is now showing any data and graphs when I've installed it (see screenshots) I've already asked our client's IT guy to enable the NetFlow on the Riverbed router but still I'm not receiving any flow data. But on the "Top 50 NetFlow Sources by % Utilization" it is showing data coming from interfaces of each nodes. By the way, NTA is installed on a VM machine but the IT guy point the direction of the flow protocol to the IP address of the physical machine so I don't know if this is the one causing the issue. I've included 4 screenshots for reference.

TIA

• Re: NetFlow not showing any data
          mark wiggans

Are you monitoring the flow export on the head-end router?

use this thread as a reference:

Riverbed Interfaces

trebor11584

Hi Mark,

Thanks for this link. Could you take a look at the 2nd screenshot I've posted, you can see there the "NetFlow Collector Services" information, the information showing there is for the VM machine where NTA is installed, now I was wondering if the IT guy of our client is correct in pointing the direction of the flow to the IP address of the physical address machine instead of the VM machine. I'm thinking that the flow's direction should be pointed to the IP address of the VM machine instead of the physical one. Which one is correct? please advise.

TIA

Andy Ng

Hi trebor11584,

NTA is actually listening to the port and server that you have set that is showing in "Netflow Collector Services".

The flows should be sent to the NPM/NTA server that is hosting the service (Virtual Machine), and not the physical VM or ESX server.

HTH.

trebor11584

Hi Andy,

That is what the IT guy did, he set-up the Riverbed to direct its flow to the physical machine hosting the VM. If you'll check LAST RECEIVED  NETFLOW on my screenshots it shows "never", now I was wondering why I'm not getting any information coming from the  Riverbed machine? the only information I'm getting and the web console is showing are the ones on the "Top 50 NetFlow Sources by % Utilization"

trebor11584

Hi Andy,

I checked on the NTA settings and I found out that I can add a new collector, it says "To add a new collector, a new collector must be installed on another  Orion poller."  I was wondering how am I gonna do this? any tips, maybe this will solve my problem.

TIA

Andy Ng

Hi trebor11584,

Adding a new collector will be installing Additional Polling Engine and installing NTA there to have another collector. But there will be costs involved.

But the easier way out is to divert the Riverbed to send its Netflow statistics to the NPM/NTA server. Are there any routing issues?

Wireshark will be useful to check if the Riverbed Netflow statistics are actually flowing into the NPM/NTA server: http://www.wireshark.org/download.html

trebor11584

Hi Andy,

AFAIK, there will be no routing issues here but what I'm thinking is that why should we point the flow of Riverbed to the IP add of the physical machine hosting the VM and not the other way around? as what I've mentioned on my previous post about the "NetFlow Collector Services" the value/name showing on it is for the VM (NOCBOC) and not for the physical machine. Could this be the conflict here?

For the wireshark, I tried it just now but all I can see coming from the IP add of Riverbed is SNMP.