This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

NPM 10 upgrade stories... Any issues?

'm hoping people can post some upgrade successes or failures when going from 9.5.1 to 10.  Any gotchas, or major reasons to hold off on the upgrade? 

I've been running solarwinds since version 7, and have had my fair sure of upgrade disasters for the different versions.  I should have waited for service packs on several major version upgrades, and I am wondering if I should do the same for version 10. 

...I am running NPM, NCM, APM, NTA, IP SLA, and 2 additional web servers....

So, please, share some stories.  Thanks!

• I have 2 separate Solarwinds Environments of which, I have only migrated one.  My upgrade of the smaller environment took approximately 24 hours. The reason for this is that I have a very large Syslog table which cannot be truncated.

So in essence, my problem ended up being an issue of not having enough storage for temp and trans logs on the SQL server.  

I'm in the process of allocating an additional 1/2 TB of space for my other production environment in preparation for the upgrade to v10.

I guess the rule of thumb is to have at least twice as much free storage space as the overall size of your db.  I'll report back in a week or so to see if this improves my upgrade experience on the other environment.

Otherwise, if you have the option to truncate your syslog table, you shouldn't run into this problem.

- v

• To clarify, the Syslog table can be truncated if your internal retention requirements allow it.

• I had an issue moving from version 9.5 to version 10.  It would go through the entire update process and then it would do the configuration piece and fail on the website creation part.  I spoke with SW help and they couldn't figure it out, so I just uninstalled version 9.5 and installed version 10, using the old database that had been updated during the failed install.  I was not using Orion very much yet so I didn't have many customizations, and from what I can tell I didn't lose anything anyway.

• I'm very curious how the upgrades are going as well. My track record for NPM updates has been incredibly bad up to this point so I'm a little hesitant to move to v10.

• I have had my share of upgrade issues in the past, but going from 9.5.1 to 10 for me was easily the most painless yet.

We have a single poller SLX implementation (with no additional modules), and another multiple poller SLX implementation (plus APM, NTA, IPSLA and additional web server).

Each upgrade was clean and quick (<40 mins total for the larger 3 poller implementation).

I was expecting a longer install process given our syslog table was approx 4 million rows - but this only took a couple of minutes (some syslog tables people have must be huge!).

I guess the tough issue is that each implementation can be a little different - and hence what has been my experience for v10 may not be yours...

Dave.

• I'm wondering how the upgrades are going as well

• I guess the tough issue is that each implementation can be a little different - and hence what has been my experience for v10 may not be yours...

I like your disclaimer Dave!

I'm interested in everyone's upgrade tales as well.  I haven't made the move from 9.5 to 10 yet, but I'm planning to in the next few weeks.  I'm planning to go from 9.5 SP4 to 10 and then upgrade NTA 3.5 SP2 to NTA 3.6.  If anyone has any gotchas to watch out for upgrading either one of these versions, I'd love to hear about it!

• Hi!

So far, so not so good.

I was running NPM 9.5.1 and NCM 5.5

I first had to upgrade NCM 5.5 -> 5.5.2 (with the NPM integration)

After that I upgraded NCM 9.5.1 -> 10

And then I upgraded NCM 5.5.2 -> 6 (with the NPM Integration).

The website worked for a couple of minutes, after that I get the following:

The Orion website is currently unable to display this page. Orion polling and alerting services often continue running, though this page cannot be displayed. Please take the following steps to attempt to alleviate the issue:

1. Log in to the website again and navigate to another Orion page, allowing you to isolate the error to this page.
    2. Ensure the Orion services are still running.
    3. Check that your SQL Server is still running and accessible.

Please notify SolarWinds of this error. We will address and help you fix the issue.

Your specfic error is:

c:\Inetpub\SolarWinds\Orion\NetPerfMon\Resources\SummaryCharts\NetworkAvailabilityRT.ascx.cs(4): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'SummaryGraphResource' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

I've restarted the server, restarted all Orion services, restarted IIS, so far no luck. I'm trying to figure this out with the Solarwinds staff.
  • Running NPM with 2 additional pollers on 64-bit 2008 R2 VMs.

I was a wreck during the upgrade process. I attended the upgrade webinar, backed up everything, ran the Database Maintenance tool for good measure, shut down all SolarWinds services, and ran the update. It worked without a problem. All customized pages had to be re-customized, but that was expected.

The main warning from the SolarWinds team has been about Syslog - the update process can take a long time if you have a lengthy Syslog repository. My main warning is to back up as much as you can - Murphy's Law hits hard when you're unprepared.

• I have this same problem. Have you resolved this?