This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Trouble Ticketing Software

Hi,

Can anyone here recommend any trouble ticketing software that can be integrated with Orion, AFAIK, Orion does not have any ticketing capabilities.

TIA.

• trebor11584,

You are correct, Orion doesn't have ticketing capabilities built in.  You can however write a PERL or some other type of script to call when an Alert Action occurs that will use the API of whatever ticketing solution you currently use to create a ticket.  That is IF your ticketing solution has a API to connect with.

• Hi Morgolis,

Thanks for the response. About the ticketing software, unfortunately we don't have any yet that's why I'm tasked to look for one. Something that is easy to use (user-friendly) yet powerful enough, and of course easy to integrate with Orion. Do you have any recommendations?

TIA

• Well, here are a few options that I am aware of as far as ticketing software is concerned.

RT

The Good:  It's open source and therefore free and relatively powerful; support available for a cost

The Bad:  May require a fair amount of technical knowledge to get up and running and configured exactly the way you want.

Numara Footprints

The Good: Very powerful and flexible, used by lots of organizations (broad install base)

The Bad: May be considered expensive

Our company has used both of these before and I like both of them.  We started on an early version of RT and as we grew and our requirements changed we moved to Numara Footprints.  Orion can integrate with just about any ticketing system by sending emails in to generate tickets.  For deeper integration you may have to look at what kind of API the ticketing software has available.

Hope this helps!

• Hi Byrona,

Thanks for the prompt response. :)

This will be a big help. But I do have some questions, about this two.

RT

1. About RT, you said that your company used this when your just starting. Does that mean it is now scalable?

2. And, what technical expertise are required to configure RT? as what you've mentioned on your post.

Numara Footprints

1. Just how expensive is this? could you give at least a ball park figure?

• I've installed and configured RT before and it can be painful to get configured properly.  There are no ticketing solutions that I know of that integrate seemlessly with Solarwinds.  They all require some type of script to be called to connect to its API.  Even RT has that same requirement.

I know of a solution that isn't overly expensive (About $1000) and has good in-house support:  http://www.gwi.com

Can I recommend them from experience?  No, just from things I've heard from others.  You may want to give them a call and see if they have any type of support for that.

• RT

1. About RT, you said that your company used this when your just starting. Does that mean it is now scalable?

2. And, what technical expertise are required to configure RT? as what you've mentioned on your post.

RT is scalable.  It wasn't nearly as nice as it is now back when we were using it so we moved to a different product.  As best as I am aware (without having been the one to install, configure, and maintain it) it runs on Linux and requires command line modifications to configuration files to get it setup properly.

Numara Footprints

1. Just how expensive is this? could you give at least a ball park figure?

Well, I don't know the actual numbers, I just recall seeing them a while back and thinking "hrm, that's kind of expensive".  I know that we pay more for it than we do for all or our Orion software and we have a lot of the Orion software.  Your best bet is to give Numara a call and ask them for a quote.

• I can recommend you this reliable ticketing software from TopTix in case you don't know it. Does anyone know it?

• Hi lr89,

Thanks for this suggestion. :)

But I have questions though.

1. which one should I download?

2. Is this easy to integrate on Orion?

3. How powerful is this (features)?

TIA.