7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2014 11:26 AM by familyofcrowes

Rediscovery Interval

JasonKV

Recently our NOC has been adding nodes to Orion and on some of the interfaces the rediscovery interval is changing to 5 minutes rather then the configured 30 minutes. See attached picture.

I have looked around but can not seem to figure out why the interfaces are picking up these settings. Any ideas? Hopefully the answer is not in right in my face, but then again that would make for an easy solution.

TIA,

• Re: Rediscovery Interval
          lag

I've seen this once before, and couldn't figure out what was going on. Try running a repair through add/remove programs, and if that doesn't work try downloading new bits and installing again. Ultimately i think that's how we resolved it.

I mostly wanted to confirm seeing the same thing before in an upgrade from 9.1 to 9.5.

JasonKV

Ugg...I hope this is not the solution.

SW Techs ? Input?

Tomas.Mlcoch

In some previous versions of Orion there is algorithm that set a rediscover interval according to a value from Orion db and if there is no value in db then the value is taken from registry. And if there is no value in registry neither some hardcoded value is used. It looks like Standard Poller is unable to find settings for Rediscover Interval in db (table Settings) and uses settings from registry (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SolarWinds.net\SWNetPerfMon\Settings\Default Rediscovery Interval).

So the solution could be to navigate to Polling Settings page and type desired Rediscover Interval and submit it. It will store Rediscover Interval into db and newly added nodes should use this value.

Coudl you please also tell us your Orion version?

JasonKV

I am on NPM 9.1 SP5 (no I can not upgrade at this point so please do not offer that as a solution, we are currently working on Database upgrade since SW dropped support for SQL2000 after 9.1)

I will explore the idea you have marked above and see if this will make the changes I need.

Thank you for your help.

JasonKV

I could not find any Registry Value like you described.

Could you be specific as to where in the DB I should find the values you are describing.

If I can not find the values that you describe, where and how should I add them? To the registry or the DB? or both?

Thanks,

Tomas.Mlcoch

Orion 9.1 SP5 is really old release, but don't be afraid i'm not about making you upgrade to newer version. In this version the "Default Rediscovery Interval" is stored only in registry but you haven't and shouldn't edit it manually in registry. You could use System Manager->File->Network Performance Monitor Settings... and click Polling tab. Last scroll bar enables to set Rediscovery Interval. If you change the default value new key will be inserted inot registry and the value will be used as default Rediscovery Interval for all new Nodes.

familyofcrowes

Here is an idea to add this as a per node variable you can vote up:  http://thwack.solarwinds.com/ideas/3941