This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Trying to create nested maps in Network Atlas

Hi,

I am a newbie and I need help with Network Atlas.  I am using the World Map and I want to create nested maps so that I can work on the different regions like APAC, EMEA, NA and LATAM.  How can I do that?

Thanks,

• Hi emram -

You would need to create your child maps first.  In Network Atlas, create a map for each region like APAC, and build that map as a standalone map.  Once you get your maps built for each region, then you'll be able to find the regional map objects in the tree on the left.  Open your world map, and drag the regional map objects onto the world map.  Save it and you'll see it in the NPM interface.

Chris.

• Thanks, how do you create a map for each region?  The maps I have I downloaded from the forum.  Can I actually build a map?

Sorry, I am really new to this.

• No problem!

You can import any image and set it as the background.  You could find or create an image of the map for each region (or use the ones that Network Atlas has built in).  If you click on Background Image on the top menu bar, that should open a folder that has JPEGs of the regions and the whole world. 

It's important that you have all of your network devices and interfaces that you want to monitor for each map already set up and managed in NPM before you do this.  That is what populates the device tree on the left side of the window Network Atlas window.  Then you would find the device in the tree, and drag it out onto the map image where you want it to go.  You can also show specific interfaces, and use the line tools to connect two interfaces together.  These lines are dynamic, and will indicate if the connection has gone down by turning red.

Start with one map, and keep playing with it until you get comfortable with the Atlas interface. Once you get one done, the rest will be easier.  Then you'll see what I meant about dragging the regional maps onto the background for your world map.

You can the full Network Atlas administrators guide here:  www.solarwinds.com/.../OrionNetworkAtlasAdminGuide.pdf

Chris.