This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Monitoring Cisco APs associated with a Wireless Controller

Hi there,

I'm pretty new here and in the industry and I'm trying out Solarwinds Orion NPM and I definitely would recommend it to any fellow IT because it's a very efficient and top-of-the-line network monitoring system.

However I do have a problem regarding Cisco Access Points which are associated with our WLAN Controller. We have a Cisco Aironet AIR-AP1142N-AK9. I can add the WLAN controller to the solarwinds orion's managed nodes, however, we would want to see the APs themselves, because as we all know, those APs don't really have management except on the WLAN controller. I'd want to know those things and all the stuff that I've seen in the live demo.

I've browsed through the admin guide, but unfortunately, I wasn't able to find out stuff about APs associated with WLAN controllers. What I've seen though are regarding stand-alone access points, which are easily monitored by the orion NPM. Thanks, I hope someone could write me an input on this one. Thanks a lot!

• So all you need to do is add the controllers themselves and Orion will poll them and automatically find the thin ap's and attached clients.  Is this not occuring for you?

• Ah, I can add them. But it doesn't give me the option to manage it via SNMP. Is it even manageable that way? I don't recall those APs having SNMP capabilities(or am I just mistaken, LOL), those are Lightweight APs as I recall. When ya try to validate SNMP, I get the "Test Failed" message. Or is it alright if I manage it via ICMP, which I am guessing that I won't, get nice results since it's only ICMP and not SNMP.

When I try to access the WLAN Controller's dashboard in the Orion NPM, I get a message something like my APs are not supported or something to that effect. I should've taken a screenshot of it. I'll try to get a screenshot maybe by tuesday or so.

I really want this to be justifiable to the management since this is a pretty neat tool. Though being a newbie as myself, it would take long for me to get into the nitty gritty of orion

• You are correct, the thin ap's do not support SNMP.  If you add the controller to Orion, it will pick up the thin ap's automatically.  If you need assistance or guidance on the product, please let your sales rep know and they can set you up with an SE to walk through the product.

• Alrighty then, thanks for all the information, we're trying to contact our local orion distributor/reseller as I am typing this reply.

• No worries, if you are still having problems, let me know and we can take this thread offline for further discussion