4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2010 7:34 PM by Steve Welsh

Scheduling timer not starting on restart

Hi,

I am having trouble get the activity scheduling time to start on machine boot.

I have Cattools running as a service and that starts fine if the machine is rebooted.

However the scheduling timer doesn't start even though I have checked the appropriate box on the "misc" tab ( "Option" and "setup") so I am having to start it manually everytime.

Anybody got any thoughts on the matter?

Thanks

Nigel

• Re: Scheduling timer not starting on restart
          Steve Welsh

Hi Nigel,

If the CatTools service starting on reboot, then the timer should automatically start if you have the option in the Options > Setup > Misc tab selected.

If you are trying to verify though by opening the CatTools Manager UI, then this is likely the problem.

The timer is always stopped when the CatTools Manager UI is opened and this is by design.

To verify if the timer is actually starting when the system is rebooted, try this test:

1) Create an activity which runs every minute (a simple Device.ConnectivityTest.Login on only one device would be a good one to use).

2) Ensure you have set the activity schedule to run every minute and also (in the Activities pane) ensure that the activity has a tick mark next to it (i.e. to enable the activity).

3) Start the timer from within the UI and verify that the Service runs the activity with the UI open.

4) Check in the Options >Setup > Misc tab that you have NOT set the When exiting the Manager should option to 'Set the timer to OFF' as this will turn off the timer automatically when you close the CatTools Manager UI (normally it is best to use the 'PROMPT...'  option or 'Set the timer to ON' if you always want the timer running when you close the CatTools Manager (UI)

5) Close the CatTools Manager (UI).

6) Verify that the Login test activity is still running every minute by either:

• opening the Infolog.txt file in the \CatTools install folder about 10 seconds after the system clock has ticked onto the next minute (to see if new entries have been added); or
          • watch the CatTools_Client.exe process in the Windows Task Manager processes tab (when the system clock ticks over to the next minute) to see if the CPU usage and/or memory usage figures change.  (the CatTools_Client.exe is the program which connects to your devices to get data.  It will idle when its not in use)

7) If the login test appears to be working, then reboot the system.

8) Wait a short while to ensure the CatTools service has started, then re-verify that the timer has started by repeating step 6 (give it a minute or so for the timer to enable and the activity be picked up).

Please post back your finding.

Regards,

Steve

It appears there are a couple of un- or poorly-documented critical points at play here.

One is that the manager interface apparently STOPS THE TIMER whenever it is opened!  So this means that one cannot open the manager to see if the time is currently running -- it will always be stopped.

The other is that the only way to ensure that the timer is running after the manager is closed is to use the Options -> Setup -> Misc -> When Exiting setting to control the state in which the timer is left when the manager is shut down.

Neither of these is, IHMO, clearly documented, or similar to the way most other similar software operates.   Most other service-based software with management interfaces leaves the state of the scheduler unchanged when the management interface starts and stops, and simply displays its current status.

I'm not saying CatTools is doing it wrong, BUT IT SHOULD BE BETTER DOCUMENTED -- when you do something unusual, it's worth bringing to peoples' attention.

There is one weakness with this approach that comes to mind: if the manager is open and the timer stopped, and the server is restarted, it would appear the scheduler would not automatically start.

Finally, I believe there may be a bug in the exit option.  I have found that sometimes if I use the option to "prompt if the timer is off", start the timer and exit the manager, it stops the timer.   It seems to be inconsistent, and now that I understand that the manager always stops the time on launch, I probably won't use it anyway.

Anyway, I hope this clarification helps somebody.

/kenw

Steve Welsh

Hi /kenw

Many thanks for you feedback and comments.  I'll pass them on to the CatTools Project Manager for you.

RE> There is one weakness with this approach that comes to mind: if the manager is open and the timer stopped, and the server is restarted, it would appear the scheduler would not automatically start.

In the Options > Setup > Misc (tab) there is an option:

'Automatically enable timer mode:  N seconds after service startup' 

If you enable this option, the timer will automatically be enabled 'N' seconds after the CatTools Service has started (after your server restart).

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Steve