37 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2010 11:39 AM by jspanitz

NCM 6.0 RC1

christineb

Hi Everyone: 

We have begun provisioning NCM 6.0 RC1 to a small group of customers in active maintenance who have installed and are running NPM 10. Many of the new features rely on this integration, and we are eager to get feedback on them. We will be provisioning to a broader audience in the next week or the week after. So, if you haven't heard from us - you will very soon!

New features to check out in NCM 6.0 include: 

• Enhanced alert integration with NPM: include diagnostic data from config scripts, the last      config changes, or trigger an action to back up the running config.
      • Configuration change templates: generate scripts with a wizard-like interface and      simple variable inputs. Download new templates and share your templates on      thwack.
      • User tracking features include a quick “Find Connected Port for End Host”      resource. This allows you to search via IP, hostname, or MAC address.      Other user tracking features include a full report detailing all      inventoried hosts along with wired or wireless switchport connection      information. 

• Re: NCM 6.0 RC1
          damien.solodow

I'll put our name in the hopper for a chance at the RC. We've already got NPM and APM RCs installed so may as well go for the hat trick. ;)

I would love to get in on RC2

christineb

Hi Infosat - it's in your portal! Please let us know what you think by posting in the RC forum. 

--Christine

savell

Hi Christine,

If you wish an extra NCM RC2 test candidate, we wouldn't mind testing it.

Dave.

jspanitz

We just did our upgrade to RC2 and had a few issues:

• Even after logging out of the Windows GUI Tools and Web Interface, the install hung on the Checking for Open Files.  There was a single NCM process (should have written it down!) still running as the NCM service account.  We killed it and the install finished sucessfully (sort of).
                      • We then updated the NCM integration piece, which seemed to trigger an entire check of the NPM install.  We don't think we saw that with 5.5.
                      • When trying to use the Discovered Links or Wireless Host Mapping reports we get:

The Orion website is currently unable to display this page. Orion polling and alerting services often continue running, though this page cannot be displayed. Please take the following steps to attempt to alleviate the issue:

Log in to the website again and navigate to another Orion page, allowing you to isolate the error to this page.
                      Ensure the Orion services are still running.
                      Check that your SQL Server is still running and accessible.
                      Please notify SolarWinds of this error. We will address and help you fix the issue.

Your specfic error is:

Could not find file 'G:\Solarwinds\Orion\Reports\Wireless Host Mapping.OrionReport'.

Could not find file 'G:\Solarwinds\Orion\Reports\Discovered Links.OrionReport'.

• Trying to locate a Connected port by Hostname, IP or MAC always fails.  We have scheduled discovery working.

John

NPM 10, NTA 3.6, APM 3.5, IPAM 1.6

Update:  We are working with support to resolve the issue.  Right now it looks like an installer bug to us.  We installed everything to the G: drive but the installer still threw some files in C:\Program Files\Solarwinds\Orion\.  I'll update when we have a fix.

christineb

Hi John - just trying to close the loop on these open issues. Repairing NPM and NCM fixed the problem yes? We believe we have tracked it down to the installer issue, and I wanted to make sure that you have had time to check it out and make sure everything was working right for you now. 

--Christine

jspanitz

Hi Christine,

I wanted to let you know that the problem of the reports not working has been resolved.    Thanks for following up.

We still can't seem to locate a server by name -

• Trying to locate a Connected port by Hostname, IP or MAC always fails.  We have scheduled discovery working.
                            • But that seems more like an NPM issue.

So again, the NCM problem has been resolved.

cdh

I got RC2 installed this morning.  Couple of observations -

• The first time I tried to install it, it hung on the Checking For Open Files part of the installer.  I let it sit that way for 30+ minutes, and then killed the install.  After a reboot and a Shutdown Everything for NPM, the install ran fine the second time, although it still took 5+ minutes for the Open Files check.
                        • Did something change with the NCM Syslog service?  I had it installed before, but I've actually got my alerts all set up in the NPM Syslog service.  I've always just killed the NCM Syslog service after a reboot and started the NPM one and that's worked fine.  Seems like now there is some sort of watchdog on the NCM Syslog service that will stop the NPM Syslog and restart the NCM Syslog.  I'll wind up rerunning the install and removing the NCM Syslog service.
                        • Finally, when I click on Config Change Templates in the web interface, I'm getting the following error:

The Orion website is currently unable to display this page. Orion polling and alerting services often continue running, though this page cannot be displayed. Please take the following steps to attempt to alleviate the issue:

1. Log in to the website again and navigate to another Orion page, allowing you to isolate the error to this page.
                        2. Ensure the Orion services are still running.
                        3. Check that your SQL Server is still running and accessible.

Please notify SolarWinds of this error. We will address and help you fix the issue.

Your specfic error is:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

I'll open a case this morning on this error.  Just wanted to provide feedback on my experiences so far.  The web interface does seem much faster than it used to.

Thanks!

I am having the same problem with the Config Change Templates

christineb

Hi Infosat - I just sent you an email. We are trying to get in touch with everyone having the error and do one-on-one support to figure out the situation. 

If anyone else is having this problem, please contact us and let us know as soon as you can. 

--Christine

branfarm

Hi Christine,

I just installed the RC2 version and I am receiving the same error on the config templates page.

--Brandon

christineb

Hi Branfarm and anyone else having the error with the config change templates:

We found that this is a problem when users don't select all the update options in the upgrade. You are given the opportunity to update "services, website, and database" and none are checked by default (our bad). You actually need to select all of them. If you don't - you can have the error described above. We'll be fixing this workflow in the next release. 

Simply re-running the config wizard with all the options checked will fix the issue. 

Let us know if you have any more questions or concerns. Thanks again everyone - for your time and comments with the RC. 

--Christine

jejones

Awesome, how do I get the RC to check out the new features.

dclick

You can drop my name in the hat too. I just finnished the upgrade to Version 10.

thecougher

Christine....I was unable to send you and email or PM so I am posting this request in this thread.

We're currently evaluating the 5.x version and will likely purchase soon.

Can we get a copy of the latest RC in order to evaluate the 6.x feature set as well?

Thanks

christineb

Hi - I can't deliver the RC as an eval - but it's going to be available in just a few days for download. I think you'll really like some of the new features in 6.0. I'll be sure and send you a note when it's available. 

--Christine

christineb

Hi Thecougher - just letting you know that we did GA yesterday evening. Feel free to download the trial - the feature set is the same as the RC posted at the beginning of this thread. 

As always, please let us know your feedback. 

--Christine

Stacy Patten

I'd like to be included.