12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2010 6:36 AM by kweise

Custom reports for Orion

satishpengal

I am using Orion Report Writer ver 9.5.0

would like to know how to go about designing a report which gives me monthly utilisation of various WAN links, for Monday to Friday between 07:00 to 19:00. Wondering if it would be possible to design such a report ??

I am not a SQL expert, so please bear with me.

Thanks and Regards,

Satish

• Re: Custom reports for Orion
          kweise

Satish,

The nice thing about the report writer is you don't necessarily need to be a SQL expert in order to create custom reports.  It should be possible to create the report just using Report Writer.  Probably the best way to get started would be to watch the Report Writer video tutorial on the SolarWinds web site.  The Report Writer tutorial is on the Recommended tab on the video tutorial page, which you can find here: http://www.solarwinds.com/support/tutorials.aspx

If you still have specific questions about your report after you get started, post a screen shot of your filter results here with your question and you'll normally get some pretty good direction on how to get the report you want.

Hope this helps!

satishpengal

Thanks Kweise

video tutorial is helpul, however it only covers very basic reports.

I am able to pull a average monthly utilisation report for various link without any issues. However, utilisation figure would be totally different if you pull a monthly report considering data pulled into report is for Monday to Friday (saturday and sunday eliminated, as utilisation will be nil on these days and will give misguiding figures if we include data for weekends in the report) and only for hours between 07.00 to 19.00 as utilisation before 7 am in the morning and after 7 pm in evening will be almost nil.

I hope my question is clear !!

kweise

It is possible to filter out Saturday and Sunday and just have data reported for business hours.  All you need to do is add a few filters to your filter results tab on your report.  You can add a new elementary condition and use the Date/Time (Traffic filtering only) option to select Day of Week and Hour of Day filters.  I've attached a picture that hopefully makes it clear.  If not, let me know and I'll try to explain it better.

Hope this helps!

satishpengal

Hi Kweise,

Thats exactly what I was looking for, thanks a lot for understanding my requirement and suggesting the solution.

However, this is getting bit complicated, now I need data to be pulled from various routers hosted in different timezones ie; APAC, America and UK. which means the report should contain utilisation details for router interfaces in above locations within local time range of 7 am to 7 pm on weekdays.

I hope my question is clear here.

Regards,

Satish

kweise

Satish,

I've never done multiple time zones, but I think you be able do it.  I think you're going to have to create a Time Zone custom property for your devices.  For whatever node you want to be included in the report, you'll need to assign the appropriate value for the Time Zone custom property.  In the filter results tab,  you'll have to use a complex condition for each time zone.  Each complex condition will filter on one of your Time Zone custom properties and then the same day and time conditions to get the data just for business hours and days.  The catch I believe is all of the hours of day times will be based on the time zone of your Orion server.  In my example, I used 7:00 to 19:00 as US business hours (and the time zone my Orion server uses) and then 12:00 to 24:00 for UK hours (assuming the UK is 5 hours ahead of my US business hours.)  Hopefully the attached picture makes this a little clearer than reading about it.  If you have any questions let me know.  (And if anyone out there has a better way to do this, feel free to chime in!)

Questionario

I think thats the best way to go at it as long as the time difference isn't too big (for larger time differences where your business hours would fall into the previous or next day you would need to make an advanced sql report)

satishpengal

Hi Kweise,

Thanks for your reply and detailed explaination.

I have more or less configured this report, just getting stuck on filtering time range for APAC, as my Orion server is in UK, my time for Auckland ( 7 to 19 ) will be 20 to 08 in UK. How should i go about putting this in filter.

Regards,

Satish

kweise

Satish,

I've never done it, but have you tried using hours greater than 20 and hours less than 08?  I'd say try that and see what data you get as the output.  If that doesn't work, you'll probably have to go with Questionario's suggestion and use an Advanced SQL statement.  That would require more SQL coding than I remember from grad school, but I'm sure someone in the community here could help you with it.  If you don't get any help in this thread,  you might try asking in the Alert Lab forum.  I think you'll find some pretty good SQL query writers in that forum.

Kevin

satishpengal

Hi Kevin,

I did try the suggested combination, however it doesn like it and doesn't give any output, maybe not able to calculate the result for condition which is greater then 20 but less then 08.

I will check if i get any leads from Alert Lab on this.

Satish

satishpengal

Hi Kevin,

Did some work around here and I believe to achieve what I was looking for. For instance for extracting utilisation report for time range 20:00 to 08:00, I configured 2 complex conditions, each with different custom properties but pointing to same device. So the first condition gave me utilisation for time equal to or greater then 20:00 for router A, and the second condition gave me the data for time equal to or less then 08:00 for the same router A. Only one record for that device appears in the report, which is great, I also verified by running single condition and could see difference in figures. However only problem is I got a page full of conditions, is there any limitation on number of conditions we can add to the filter page.

Thanks again for giving that direction :-)

Satish

kweise

Hey Satish,

I'm glad to hear your report working.  I'm not aware of any limit on the number of conditions on your filter page.  Since I'm not really a DBA, I'm probably not the best person to answer that question.  My guess would be that the only real limitation would be if you end up with so many conditions that all of the filtering starts to impact the speed at which the report is able to return results.  My guess would be that when the server processes the WHERE clause of the query (the filters page), it goes through the query one condition at a time until it gets a match.  If that's the case, you'll probably want to put the filters in order of which are most likely to produce a match.  For example, if you know you have twice the number of devices in your UK time zone versus a US time zone, you'd probably want to order your UK time zone filter before the US time zone filter. 

If I'm way wrong on this, hopefully someone will chime in and say so!

Kevin