This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

How do you import your subnets?

So I can use from the Engineer's Toolset the Subnet tool which very nicely pulls subnets from my routers and exports it wonderfully.  But IPAM does not recognize the subnet mask field so I cannot import that way unless I only pull in /24's.

I see there is a text bulk import which will take the slash notation for subnets but I do not have a tool to generate it that way. 

I have the engineer's toolset but I do not think anything will generate it in that fashion that I know of.

• Furthermore, if I try to import subnets from a spreadsheet I have to assign them to a parent subnet so the info not learned from the spreadsheet is put in IE subnet mask.  That is not feasible when you have thousands of subnets.

• Hi Donald,

You could try first exporting and then importing the subnet list into Toolsets IP Address Management tool.  You can then import that database directly into IPAM.

http://support.solarwinds.com/kbase/ProblemDetail.cfm?ID=1141

Import IP Addresses from Toolset
    To import IP addresses and subnets into Orion IPAM from the Toolset:
    1. Locate the Toolset IP Manager database on your Toolset server.
    2. Copy the Toolset IPAddress Manager db to an appropriate location on your Orion server.
    3. Open a CommandPrompt on the Orion server.
    4. Enter CD :\ProgramFiles\SolarWinds\Orion\IPAM.
    5. Enter NET STOP ''SolarWinds Information Service''.
    6. Enter SolarWinds.IPAM.Init.exe –import <Fullpath to your Toolset IP Address Manager database>.
    7. Enter NET START ''SolarWinds Information Service''.

Note:

The IP Address manager tool stores the database by default here on windows 2003.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SolarWinds\IP-Address-Management.IPDB

Hope this helps!

• Ok So I have done this procedure and it actually leaves out the part where you get your subnets into IPAM.  And the way to do that us import them from a file you create with Subnet list tool.

So while I am happy there is a way to accomplish this, the utter hidiousness of the procedure is astounding.  Especially considering that this is a tool you pay a hefty price for.

In my mind there is no doubt IPAM should be able to import your subnets effciently and easily without having to jump through flaming hoops.

• Donald, we are in absolute agreement.  We have plenty of opportunities to make this experience much better in IPAM.

-Craig