3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2012 11:45 AM by DanielleH

Has anyone put the work into filtering for hardware failure TRAPS in NPM?

the_toilet

Hi forum

I am trying to configure a good hardware monitoring solution using TRAPS.  I have been gradually deploying a centralised, multi-customer HP SIM for doing HOP servers which works a treat, but I need to do something for the multi-vendor network environment I have out there across my customer base. 

Cisco would be the most common vendor out there so I want to start there.  Basically, has anyone really put in the work to define a list of specific TRAPS that would need to be alerted onto cover ALL (or at least most) hardware failures across their network devices?

Ideally, what I am looking for is a list…

TRAP (OID I guess)          -              what does this TRAP mean          -              How many TRAPS would I expect to see for this failure

TRAP (OID I guess)          -              what does this TRAP mean          -              How many TRAPS would I expect to see for this failure

This would then let me build complete list of alerts/rules in the NPM TRAP tool to be able to alert on hardware failures.

The alternative to this would be to try and load Cisco MIBS into HP SIM, but I would rather use NPM as it gives me more flexibility on the alerting, especially with v10 (though I have not used it yet)

Can anyone help?  Or can we just start a list on here of important traps and it will just keep growing and growing until we have them all covered….

Cheers

dan