5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2010 11:54 AM by ctanner

Understanding IOPS Reports

DirtySouth

I'm testing Storage Profiler, specifically with our SAN right now. I'm looking at some of the storage performance reports at the LUN, Spindle and Raid Group level. When a report shows me "Total IOs/sec" at each polling interval, is that thet total number of IOPS within that interval? For example, the default polling interval is 15 minutes. I should then divide the Total IOs/sec by 15 and then by 60?

I'm basically trying to figure out what my average IOPS is per LUN, Raid Group or Spindle. Is there a better report for this?

• Re: Understanding IOPS Reports
          ctanner

The raw data point (15 minute interval) will display the average IOPS for that LUN over that 15 minute period. There shouldn't be any need for any calculation. 

To look at your average IOPS per LUN look into the LUN Performance report (Reports -> Quick Reports -> Array Manufacturer -> LUN Performance) select the time range and the data rollup metric. For example, if I wanted to know the average IOPS for the last month I would go in and run this report select Monthly for the Data selection and Previous Month as the date range and I will get the average IOPS for last month for each LUN. 

DirtySouth

Thanks, that makes sense. I do wish there was a way to make the graphs larger so you could see these reports more granular.

animelov

There's always a way :)

If you hit "View Data" below the graph, you can actually set specific parameters for the report (date and raw/hourly/daily/etc. information).  From there you will get an html table based report giving you exact details, and at the top of the column there will be a graph link that will give you a graph of the specific parameters

ctanner

Well, you can see data points for every 15 minutes by running the report no matter the time range by selecting Raw for the data. The reason the interval is set this way is due to the SMI-S providers that the array manufacturers develop only updating with new information every so often. We've found that 15 minutes allows for all of the SMI-S providers we support to have time to update with new performance information before we attempt to collect from them.