29 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2010 3:46 PM by animelov

Profiler for Physical and Virtual Server monitoring?

Daveyd

We currently use Orion NPM to monitor our networking infrastructrue.  I was tasked with find a solution to monitor all of our servers both physical and virtual.  We currently have 150 physical servers and 50 VMs.  We also have a Clariion CX-340 and a HP MSA60

Here's what we want to monitor on both physical and virtual servers:

CPU utilization, Memory Utilization, Hard Drive utilization and performance, various Windows services and performance, and all statistics that vCenter produces.  We would also like the ability to view real time trends and produce trend reports on everything that is being monitored as well as generate emails when issues arise.

I see Profiler has 3 different flavors. One for Storage, one for Servers and Virtualization and one for Backups.

In our situation, would the Server/Virtualization Profiler suit our needs or would we add Storage Profiler?  What about just using Solarwinds Application Performance Monitor?  How do the 2 differ?

I am also evaluation Microsoft's System Center Operations Manager (SCOM) and trying to get a feel between the 2 products.  At the end of the day, we are looking for an affordable end to end solution for monitoring our physical and virtual servers

• Re: Profiler for Physical and Virtual Server monitoring?
          Daveyd

I guess there is no Edit function?

Anyways, of note, not all of our physical servers are SAN attached if that makes a difference to Profiler monitoring local disks

animelov

At the moment, Profiler's "three flavors" is still one big product.  So, if you need the server and storage side, you can get that with one Profiler Server, and the licensing will split to account for the servers and for the storage.

As far as what you are looking for, it sounds like Profiler will be able to do most of that, so I would highly encourage you to download and give it a try.  With the physical machines having san attached storage, we should be able to pick that up and associate that back to the Storage array (assuming the array is installed as well).

I realize this is a pretty general answer to your question, and without trying to sound too sales-y I would definitely say check it out as it looks like exactly what you're looking for.  If you have any more specific questions, please feel free to let us know!

Daveyd

Can you explain the licensing model?  I see there are different licenses for the Storage Profiler as well as the Virtual and Server Profiler.

ctanner

Can you explain the licensing model?  I see there are different licenses for the Storage Profiler as well as the Virtual and Server Profiler.

In general just think of it as a per server/vm licensing for virtual/server profiler and per disk for storage profiler. A sales associate should be able to help you out with more details but hopefully this helps you with the general idea of things.

Daveyd

So, you cannot purchase the Virtual and Server Profiler without purchasing the Storage Profiler?

For monitoring ESX hosts and VMs, would need to purchase licenses for each ESX host/vCenter and all the VMs or just 1 license for each instance of vCenter?

ctanner

Sorry for the confusion, of course you can purchase them separately, but they are the same code base. Let me try to explain. If you purchased virtual and server profiler and later decided to purchase storage profiler all it would require is an update to your license. That is with the current version. It would not require installing extra software or a separate download at this time. Of course, there's always the possibility of things changing in future versions, but currently it's all together. So, with the evaluation download you can add servers, VMs, SANs, Backups, etc. It's all the same download. At purchase it's regulated by the license.

Daveyd

Ahhh, well that makes sense  :)

What about the vCenter/ESX host/VM licenses per my question above?

Daveyd

Another question...Is there a way to push out the agents from the console or is it a manual process?

I am diggin the trail version  :)

ctanner

Another question...Is there a way to push out the agents from the console or is it a manual process?

So, currently the way it works is initially you need to install the agents on the physical servers (not necessary for VMs) but any future upgrades can be pushed from the profiler server. If you decide to purchase and want to deploy a large amount of agents to physical servers there is a way to push silent installs. I would just ask your sales rep or someone from support to help you out with it when you get to that point. 

Daveyd

After adding my vCenter server Ithe console shows the vCenter server and the ESX hosts but no data shows up.  Looking at the Agent Module Status, it has this error for the Virtualization Module:  Offline - Defined device 'Devices.device8' does not define a device class or type mapping

Any idea?

ctanner

This error doesn't look very familiar, so my suggestion is to unassign the ESX hosts, clear data and reassign the ESX hosts. Here are the steps I would take for this. 

Unassign ESX hosts: 

Administration -> Virtualization -> Assign ESX Hosts

Move all ESX hosts or Clusters to the top box (Available - not Selected)

*Note: The poller the ESX hosts or Clusters are assigned to is displayed in the Selected box by 'ESX or Cluster -> poller'

On the server that the ESX hosts were assigned to go to the virtual module directory and delete the data directory and securekeystore file:

Where to find the virtual module: 

Profiler Server: <install dir>\agent\systemic\mod.sys.virtual.Virtual_1.0

default install directory: C:\Program Files\Solarwinds\Profiler Server\

Profiler Agent: <install dir>\systemic\mod.sys.virtual.Virtual_1.0

default install directory: C:\Program Files\Solarwinds\Profiler Agent\

Example: 

delete C:\Program Files\Solarwinds\Profiler Server\agent\systemic\mod.sys.virtual.Virtual_1.0\data\*.*

delete C:\Program Files\Solarwinds\Profiler Server\agent\systemic\mod.sys.virtual.Virtual_1.0\data\securekeystore

Reassign ESX hosts: 

Administration -> Virtualization -> Assign ESX Hosts

Move all ESX hosts or Clusters to the bottom box by selecting the appropriate poller to assign them to (Selected)

*Note: Keep in mind that you're going to want to keep each poller at or under 200 VMs per poller for best results

animelov

Actually, I just ran across that at another customer's site.  There is a workaround, please do the following:

1)  Un-assign all of the ESX hosts, hit save.

2)  Go back to the Assign ESX hosts page, change the radio button to "Hosts" instead of "Cluster"

3)  Assign out the ESX hosts as you see fit.

There seems to be a problem with 4.11.0 and assigning out by cluster.  It does work if assigned out by vm though.

Daveyd

Thanks for all the help.

Is there a reason to assign to individual hosts rather than a cluster, if you already have a cluster in place?  Assigning to a cluster gives you monitoring of the individual hosts, correct?

ctanner

There's no reason one way or the other (unless it's not working one of the ways). It's just preference. Assigning by ESX host allows a little more flexibility in situations where you're trying to monitor some VMs but not others, for example production VMs versus test VMs if they happened to be in the same cluster. Assigning by cluster is just a little simpler. 

Assigning by cluster gives you:

1- Convenience: It is a lot easier to assign just a few objects (clusters) and then all the "child" ESX Hosts are automagically assigned.

2- Additional performance counters: Profiler provides performance metrics for VMs (guests), Hosts and Clusters. There are not too many cluster-specific performance counters but the only way to get them is to assign the cluster object itself. This can always be done later anyway.

As somebody else suggested before, just assign your ESX Hosts manually for now and you will be able to do everything you enumerated in your initial requirements. Be sure to also enable monitoring of your Clariion and HP along with any Fibre Channel switches and I'm sure you will have everything you were looking for.

Daveyd

I have Brocade FC switches.  I added them to Profiler and connectivity tested successfully and shows up in Profiler however it's been a few hours and there are no stats showing up in Profiler.

Any suggestions?

is there any data showing at all on the switch consoles?

At this point it may be easier engaging our technical or support team and schedule a web session to look at your environment. Brocade switches are typically very easy to setup as there's no configuration needed except for the SNMP community string and SSH credentials. Have you tried manually walking one of your Brocade's MIB using the same community string provided to Profiler?

In addition to the SNMP MIB, Profiler uses SSH to collect zoning data. Have you verified the SSH credentials provided?

ctanner

It is licensed per server whether it be physical or virtual, so in this case we would license per VM. No license is required for the ESX host or Virtual Center. 

ctanner

Also, keep in mind that you'll want to install agents on the physical servers with SAN attached storage, which you can download from the same page as the server download.