This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Monitoring EVA4000 & EVA4100

Hi,

We have NPM v9.5.1 and would like to monitor our EVA Sans (EVA4000 & EVA4100), can someone tell me if this is possible and how I would go about carrying this out.

Cheers

Gordie

• You can use HP's own System Insight Manager to get stats from EVA's:

Enclosed as an accessory with all StorageWorks arrays is HP Systems Insight Manager (SIM). HP SIM is the foundation for HP's unified server-storage strategy -- it is packaged as a no-cost, customer installable management application and is derived from the heritage of Compaq Insight Manager, HP Toptools, and HP Servicecontrol. HP SIM runs on HP Windows, Linux, and HP-UX and provides discovery and identification, fault management, security administration, asset reporting, and centralized configuration management across heterogeneous servers, storage and infrastructure. HP SIM is easily extensible, integrating other HP management products and value-add plug-ins such as the ProLiant Essentials, Integrity Essentials, and Server Essentials.

HP SIM relies on industry standards like SMI-S, SNMP, SSH, WBEM, and WMI to detect and report heterogeneous device attributes. HP SIM may also be configured to launch array specific applications for configuration, reporting and replication. For more information on HP Systems Insight Manager see:
    http://www.docs.hp.com/en/netsys.html

• Thanks for your reply ecklerwr1

We are currently using SIM for some of our servers but we have found it to be clumsy and the custom reporting/alerting is not that good either. We are currently moving to a VMWare environment where we will use Orion to monitor our servers rather than SIM. The functionality, alerting & reporting of Orion is far superior to SIM and we would ideally like to monitor our SAN with Orion, if possible.

• My main point was not to really use SIM for anything but collecting HP specific data from the arrays and then forwarding traps or syslog from SIM on to NPM.

EDIT:

And its free :}