This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Blackberry Exchange Server (BES) Version 5.0.1.58 Component Issues

From what I’ve been able to find, RIM removed several WMI / PerfMon classes in BES V5.0.1. That includes all of the components that are included in the Thwack templates. (Service monitoring is fine, but components are a no go)

So have I missed something? Is there an alternate method to get component / Perf stats? Has anyone heard RIM’s plan to address performance monitoring?

Any direction here would be appreciated!
  • Please open a support ticket on this and we'll look into this. 

• With assistance from support, I found that while performance counters are now out, I could fill the gap with SNMP. In order to help anyone else using 5.0 SP1, here’s the pertinent info from my support ticket:

I found a reference (Which happens to be a SW site) that was extremely helpful.

The main difference between what you have listed and the MIB on my 5.0.1 server is they appended a .20 to the end. So where the above site lists a MIB OID of 1.3.6.1.4.1.3530.5.25.1.10, the new MIB for BES 5.0.1 is now 1.3.6.1.4.1.3530.5.25.1.10.20. The data appears to be consistent with the descriptions listed in the above info. The MIB name is also the same, but the mib list names also have the .20 appended. (Not all of those appear to be consistent, but the OID’s are)

I will upload the modified template I created, but by using the info above you can tweak a template for whatever you need. (Mine is paired down a bit since we are a smaller company with a light user load)
  • Here's the link to Alminair's Blackberry Enterprise Server (BES) 5.0 SP1 APM template based on SNMP. Thanks Alminair for your contribution!

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember

How do I figure out what the values should be for 5.03 mr1?

• That depends on what you are actually asking. (I’ll answer both just for grins though)

We are still running on Version: 5.0.2.28, but the MIB’s haven’t changed for our version. If the MIB’s changed in 5.03 the easiest way to deal with that would be to use the MIB crawler to find what they changed and repoint to the new MIBs. (Which is essentially what I did) If they follow the same pattern of you should be able to use the previous info to find them.

If you are referring to what the data value OF those points should be set to for alarms and such*, that is much harder for me to tell you. In a nutshell it depends on the size of your system. The main reason I didn’t take much time in setting alarm points is because everyone has a different user load and hardware. Something that would be appropriate for our company (Which has a small number of BB users compared to most) wouldn’t be worth anything for a larger company with 50 times my users. It also wouldn’t be worthwhile for a smaller company running BES on a minimum spec system.

The best way to figure your monitor alarms is to set the points, run them for 2 weeks to a month. (Or perhaps longer if you have intermittent usage cycles). Once you have some historical data to look at, cross that against when you’ve had issues, user complaints, or times when you wished you knew the server was straining, and set things low enough to catch those while being high  enough to ignore the daily noise. It does take some adjustment to get things ‘right’, and it’s a good idea to do that any time you make a significant change to the hardware or install.

*And if you are not, disregard this section J
  • Were you able to get Messages Queued for Devliery and Messages Reeived/Sent per minute?

• Keeping in mind that we are on Version: 5.0.2.28:

For those that just want a quick answer:

·         Use the Generic SNMP component for these -

o   Messages Pending:                      OID   1.3.6.1.4.1.3530.5.25.1.202.20

o   Messages Sent per Minute:         OID   1.3.6.1.4.1.3530.5.25.1.207.20

o   Messages Received per Minute: OID   1.3.6.1.4.1.3530.5.25.1.208.20

For those who want to know HOW to get that information, here’s my process:

Using the MIB resource I linked in the posts above I got the starting point for the MIB’s. That happens to be 1.3.6.1.4.1.3530.5 (for version 5)

Then I used the Engineering toolkit MIB Browser, went to MIBs toolbar, Search MIB Database. I entered the root 1.3.6.1.4.1.3530.5, and clicked the ‘Show in MIB tree’. From there I was able to browse the various OID’s available. The entries you want were nested in the blackBerryServer > besSysHealthTable >besSysHealthEntry path.

<Chopped out for length>

When you select the one you want, it displays the OID information in the pane below the tree in the following format:

BLACKBERRYSERVER-MIB:besSysHealthV1MsgsPending

OID        1.3.6.1.4.1.3530.5.25.1.202

Type      INTEGER

Units     

Access read-only

Status    mandatory

Total number of messages queued for delivery to handhelds.

However as mentioned above, Rim changed these so that you have to add .20 to the OID for it to work correctly. Once you add the .20 it picks up as you can see below: 

The other 2 OID's and the tested components are provided for your example pleasure:

BLACKBERRYSERVER-MIB:besSysHealthV1MsgsSentPerMin

OID        1.3.6.1.4.1.3530.5.25.1.207

Type      INTEGER

Units     

Access read-only

Status    mandatory

Total number of messages sent from handhelds per min.

BLACKBERRYSERVER-MIB:besSysHealthV1MsgsRecvdPerMin

OID        1.3.6.1.4.1.3530.5.25.1.208

Type      INTEGER

Units     

Access read-only

Status    mandatory

Total number of messages delivered to handhelds per min.

Hope that clarifies things a bit.
  • I did want to mention that we should be updating to 5.03 shortly (Within a few weeks most likely), so if I find a significant difference I'll be updating to account for it. I'll also wind up reposting my template as well. Someone might beat me to the punch, but I gotta go with the upgrade timelines.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to Alminair

You guys are awesome I will play around with this today and report back.