2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2010 9:47 AM by byrona

Feature Suggestion : Alert Throttling

Donald_Francis

Every now and then we have massive failures at majoir offices or at corp.  When they are on this scale we will get hundreds of alerts.  Somtimes this can happen just when working with the main SolarWinds box depending on the issue you are working on.

I thought it might be a good idea to have a threshold somewhere you could set saying if N number of alerts kicks off in X amount of time shut down alerting.

This way you can work on your priority 1 issue without dealing with hundreds of spam messages or having to hear others whine about them.

• Re: Feature Suggestion : Alert Throttling
          Questionario

while that is not implemented yet, you can log on to the orion server, open advanced alert manager and disable all alerts... not as comfortable but thats what we do for now...

• Re: Feature Suggestion : Alert Throttling
              byrona

while that is not implemented yet, you can log on to the orion server, open advanced alert manager and disable all alerts... not as comfortable but thats what we do for now...

The only problem with this if I understand what Donald is suggesting is that you would need to know about the impending event in advanced.  Unfortunately something will happen like a core network device getting wanged causing 100+ alerts to be generated unexpectedly.  In this case it would be nice to only get one "RED ALERT" from the NMS letting you know that some catastrophic event has happened causing some large number (preferably one I can define) of alerts to be generated.