16 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2010 4:16 PM by DaveStraley

Connect now - HP Procurve

DaveStraley

So we are testing NPM v10 on our network and I was wondering what Layer 2 protocol you use for the discovery (CDP/LLDP)?  Mainly because we have about 98% procurve switches in our network and when we do the connect now we get no link information (port numbers).  I saw on the demo this morning that the port information shows for Cisco.   Is it possible that if Orion sees an uplink port to another switch and that port is not currently being monitored by Orion, for Orion to prompt/add that port?  A lot of our switches are the large chassis switches (144/288 ports) so we dont want to monitor every port.  It would be VERY nice for Orion to highlight the uplink ports for us.  That would be a huge time saver.

Cheers,

Dave

Orion NPM 9.5.1 SLX

NTA SLX

APM SLX

Orion NPM 10.0 L100

• Re: Connect now - HP Procurve
          netlogix

are you using VLANs?  I am on my Cisco switch and it doesn't work.  It might just be the way VLANs report MAC address information through SNMP.

Where do you try to find link information? If you try to look on the properties of created edge from switch you don't see link information? After ConnectNow aren't link information created automatically. You has to add label to link manually. Or where do you exactly miss the link information?

Halef

So we are testing NPM v10 on our network and I was wondering what Layer 2 protocol you use for the discovery (CDP/LLDP)?  Mainly because we have about 98% procurve switches in our network and when we do the connect now we get no link information (port numbers).  I saw on the demo this morning that the port information shows for Cisco.  

I am not sure what "link information" you mean exactly. Could you be more specific, please? Is this node- or edge-related information?

In general, we query various items in the BRIDGE-MIB directly over SNMP.

There is also a Cisco-specific MIB (CISCO-STACK-MIB) that provides some additional port/interface info. Maybe this is why you see the information for Ciscos and not for other machines.

DaveStraley

The main thing I am looking for is the Interface name which works great if the device is discovered via network sonar.  The issue with that is that when you get to the interface import section of the network you have to import every interface it finds for it to work properly.  What I have ended up doing is unchecking that step to add 1,000+ interfaces to manually find and add the 20 that we actually want.  Most of our switches are HP chassis switches (5400 series) with as many as 288 interfaces per node, and we don't want to be monitoring 25,000+ interfaces.  What we really only care about are the uplink interfaces and if there was a way for Orion to find those for us that would be amazing.

Hopefully that clarifies things. :)

Cheers,

Dave

Halef

I guess it's clear now. So what you want is, after a discovery finishes, it will tell you "there are 200 interfaces on this machine, and these 5 are uplink".

Unfortunately, this is (obviously) not what Orion does at the moment. I have scouted around this functionality a little, but I am not aware of any workaround.

If you would like to make this an official feature request, please open a support ticket for it.

DaP

smartd

Exactly.  If the interface (or proprietary virtual for juniper) is not managed, the topology is not displayed.   If you remove the interface, topology is lost.

An option to add interfaces with topology data would be helpful!

-=Dan=-

smartd

Dave,

One issue I have with Procurves is in stacking.  If you stack the 2xxx procurves and only use a single IP, you must use the community name@SW1 (1-11) to scan the other switches in the stack.  I don't think that's something that Orion can handle, so I'm asking for each switch to have its own IP.

I'm haven't figured out how stacking affects topology.  I know it works for stacks with each having its own IP.

-=Dan=-