This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

NTA IP change

How do I change the IP address of my NTA Collector? Does it have to be the IP address of the server hosting NPM?

I basically have a problem with picking up traffic from another network my NPM ip address is 10.0.0.0 and my other network is 172.16.0.0 I can poll all my information for NPM and APM but can't get the network to point to the NTA because of management restrictions. So can I change the NTA collector IP address without affecting NPM?

• The NTA collector runs on Orion NPM so it will use the same IP address as Orion. Is your Orion address really 10.0.0.0?

• Yes we are using two virtual nics one with 172.16.0.0 network and one with 10.0.0.0 network I am not sure how we are able to poll information in NPM & APM from the devices in the 172 network to that orion server (10.0.0.0 network) I guess I have to go over how it is communicating. The 172 network has to be a separate network and the 10.0.0.0 network is the management network. 

I guess I need to go over with my peers how the snmp information is getting through

Can I direct that 2nd NIC to point to the Orion server? Also please note that the 172.16.0.0 has a virtual switch that collects all the snmp data and forwards it to the 10.0.0.0 network, I am not sure if we can route NTA traffic through that virtual switch to reach the Orion Server.

• They are probably allowing UDP 161 for SNMP now and just need to add UDP 2055 for NetFlow.

• We've done some internal investigation and found that NTA doesn’t care about amount of IP addresses assigned to the host, it listens on all of them.  

This hasn't been fully verified though so we'd recommend to use additional NTA receiver or test a host with multiple IP addresses in a non-production Orion environment to ensure that everything works correctly.

• What I did was created another poller and made that an NTA server but I realize you still have to add the device in NPM because you can't install NTA by itself. We added this server as a second poller in NTA on the main sever we are accessing on our network 10.0.0.0. So far so good but I am still going to play around with it because NTA won't work unless I have the device in both NPM engines which I am trying to figure out why?

But I hope this doesn't confuse anyone but we found a way as of now. Basically I now have two Servers with NPM one using NPM,NTA,&APM and one using NTA alone to have a server located within the isolated network. I add that server to the main NPM server we access which has two NICs but for some reason I only get NTA traffic by adding the device in both NPM databases on both servers when I would think I should only set one up because you cant get NetFlow traffic without defining the device and interfaces in NPM/System Manager if you add them that way.