53 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2010 1:33 AM by Questionario

NPM 10 RC experience

Short, happy list:

1. Install was easy.  A few enigmatic, "App error. Send to Microsoft?" messages appeared but the installation carried on anyway and was successful.

2. We use IPAM.  Works fine without any effort on our part.

3.  We use NCM.  Same as above.

4. Performance appears similar to 9.5.

5. VMWare API worked quickly though the information I need most isn't shown.  I had hoped to get volume and CPU utilization from the API rather than having to mess with SNMP. I need to RTM.

6. We have one server (Windows) that Orion reports, in error, pegged at 100% CPU utilization.  First time I've ever seen this in any NPM version. Not major but curious.  Will investigate and report back to this thread.

7. New menu style is appealing.

8. Looks like new icons in the Network Atlas.

We're excited. If I should have posted this on an existing thread let me know.

Andrew

• Re: NPM 10 RC experience
          bshopp

Andrew, glad to hear the upgrade went well.

If you could post or send me an email with more info on #1, when did you get this etc.

Regarding #5 our goal with 10.0 was to restore the functionality we had lost with the changes in vSphere 4.  We are looking to continue to enhance our virtualization support including more via the API.

We have had another user report something similar to #6, could you walk the host resources mib and send that to me or open a support case on that one.

jchorlton

I have #6 as well.  About 43 Servers at 100%.  A further 40 or so are OK.

At first glance it would seem only 32 bit servers are reporting 100% (2003 & 2008).  64bit ones (2003, 2008 and 2008 R2) are OK.

I'm not in the office for a few days so will open up a support case on Tuesday.

Otherwise vSphere stuff worked out of the box and is back to where we were with ESX3.

My only advice is watch out for big syslog tables.  Upgrade took so long we decided to terminate, rollback to snapshots, delete data from the syslog table and start again.  The second attempt took minutes to complete.  (We did have 89 million syslog records)

John

Brandon, 

I'm afraid I failed as a tester, I did not retain the information on the errors. 

For #6, how do I walk the hose resources MIB?  This is probably something I should know already.

Andrew

kpilgrim

Our install went flawlessly. No errors. It was very simple.

All the components are working perfectly (NCM, Netflow, IP SLA, APM)

The layout is appealing. I like the new tabs.

I have not experienced the issues with 100% CPU utilization as others have posted. Everything is working as it was in 9.5

I am awaiting my VMWare tech to make the configuration changes in order for Orion to view 4.0. Excited to see the results.

Will post more as I have more.

cdh

Has anyone had an issue with creating maps in Network Atlas after the upgrade and it not showing up properly on the Web interface?  I installed 10.0 RC3 this morning, and then created a new map in Atlas.  I am using the new Cisco stencils, and they show up fine in the Atlas interface.  In the NPM web interface, I am getting green shadows instead of the stencils.  Any idea what might be happening?

Thanks!

chuco

Andrew,

I ran into the High CPU utilization once when I did an upgrade with NPM. The best thing that worked for us was to freshly load an OS and reload a fresh copy of the lastest NPM. Then everything seemed to be running normal again. Tech support couldn't figured out the cause of the high CPU. But one day our Solarwinds Server decided to fill our SQL Database server and that's when we did a fresh install of the OS and NPM.

Chuco,

I hope we don't have to reinstall. Possible but time consuming.

Andrew

chuco

Andrew,

I couldn't agree with you more but when it started over fill our SQL Database on our SQL Server I had no choice but to start over from scratch. We had other databases that took precedence. But seeing that  reload and start from scratch solve that high memory and cpu utiliztion problem we were having. All I know that it was from the upgrades. Even the tech tried his best to figure out what happened and why but we never were able to solve the issue.

Karlo.Zatylny

Hi,

If you are seeing NPM report 100% CPU on a Windows box in error, this is a known issue and you need not reinstall anything.  You may want to confirm with us that this Windows box is using Net-SNMP and is responding to

It may respond with the NoSuchObject response.  If so, post back and let me know.

Thanks

jchorlton

Hi Karlo,

When I use the Solarwinds MIB viewer on 1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.11.50 on one of the servers reporting 100% I get..

UCD-SNMP-MIB    ssCpuRawUser      ** unsupported OID **

I'm using the Windows SNMP Agent.

Does this help?

Thanks

John

Karlo.Zatylny

That helps.

Thanks for confirming our in house test results.

Karlo,

I get the same as John.

Thanks,

Andrew

jchorlton

Hello,

Any news/ETA on the 100% CPU issue yet?  (I have not gotten around to opening a ticket).

Thanks

John

jan.tauwinkl

Hi John,

This issue was fixed in RC2 which is going to be released very soon.

Jan

chris.lapoint

John,

If you haven't received RC2 yet, please send me an email and we'll get you provisioned.

bshopp

Everyone who has RC1 should have gotten a note from me today about RC2.  If you did not please email Chris or myself

helinut

Install was very easy.  Putting the poll now and rediscover buttons on each node details page was nice.  So far I haven't seen anything I don't like.  I still need to look more in to Atlas and figure out how to use it.  All in all, everything looks good.  Quite an upgrade from 7.8.5  :)

RC2 install went well.  Our %100 utilization issue is resolved.

Thanks!

topher1086

One thing I just noticed after upgrading to RC1 is the Energywise calculation.  With 9.5 we were usually consuming between 6 and 7 kW.  Now it is under 2 kW.  What's going on here?

chris.lapoint

One thing I just noticed after upgrading to RC1 is the Energywise calculation.  With 9.5 we were usually consuming between 6 and 7 kW.  Now it is under 2 kW.  What's going on here?

Please open a support ticket (attach diagnostics) and we'll look into this.

jspanitz

Our  experience was similar.  With one exception.

First the good.

• Install was smooth.  Slow, but smooth.
                                                                          • Performance was very slow but after reboot cleared up.  Overall about the same as 9.5.
                                                                          • IPAM works fine.
                                                                          • VMWare integration is good.  Have not fully explored it yet but better than none at all.
                                                                          • Menus a little better than before.

Now the not so good.

• APM broke.  Worked with support.  The only fix for us was to move to APM 3.5 RC.
                                                                          • VMware integration requires local account on each ESX server instead of VCenter - other products we use have this higher level of integration.
                                                                          • No new GUI features to increase usability other than Menus.

John

chris.lapoint

John, thanks much for the post.  We absolutely appreciate the feedback, both good and not so good.   See my replies inline below.

Now the not so good.

• APM broke.  Worked with support.  The only fix for us was to move to APM 3.6 RC.

Can you post your ticket #?  I'd like to look into what happened here.   BTW, just to clarify for others, I think you meant APM 3.5 RC.  Just don't want anybody to think they missed out on a version ;-)

VMware integration requires local account on each ESX server instead of VCenter - other products we use have this higher level of integration.

We spoke with some customers who didn't purchase vCenter so we didn't want to require this.  Also, we were concerned that vCenter adds complexity in that it serves as a proxy and if it has issues, you're not getting data on any of your ESX hosts.

If this is something folks would like to see, we'd love it if you'd start another post in the main NPM forum on this topic.

No new GUI features to increase usability other than Menus.

We're always striving to improve usability with each release.  I'd like to understand what specific tasks you find hard to use to ensure we've got our priorities straight.

jspanitz

Chris,

Oops, why did they place the 6 next to the 5 on the keyboard!  I corrected the version of APM in my post.  Thx!

The ticket # was 154992.  We are happier with APM 3.5 :)

I do understand your concerns with vcenter.  It does raise some good questions.  Perhaps if NCM had the ability to remotely create those accounts if you provided proper local credentials?  It's just a bit of a management issue to have to touch each server.  Perhaps the vcenter option could be just that, an option.  I have got to believe that the majority of your customers would welcome this enhancement.

As for the GUI, not sure my post would do my thoughts justice.  We came from a NetIQ AppManager, Paessler PRTG world.  Lots of right click options and tree views.  Very intuitive.  We were talking about vcenter earlier and that has the same type of look and feel as the applications I just mention.  I'm sure it's just what we are used to, but it just seems like we are always clicking around trying to find things in Orion.

For instance, we have a web site monitor and when you first click on it you basically just get response time.  If you click on HTTP you get availibility.  If you click on HTTP Monitor you get everything (Response time, Mix Max, Availibility, Last 25 events).  It's all there but hard to find.

Switches are the same way.  We added custom pollers but there is no way to tell they even exist unless we modify the view.  The view should be modified when the poller is added and show up.  Or at least another tab should present itself or a right click on the node should show the options.  Again, it's all there, but very hard to navigate, in our opinion.

Thanks for hearing us out!

John

Questionario

just to chip in on #2...

I think it would definitely be a hassle to create a local account on each ESX-server... any additions to have options to not have to create local accounts on these machines would be great.

netlogix

5. VMWare API worked quickly though the information I need most isn't shown.  I had hoped to get volume and CPU utilization from the API rather than having to mess with SNMP. I need to RTM.

I though the same thing at first, but I found a gauge that looks like it does what you want.  Customize the page an ESX server is on and add/move to the top the "ESX Virtual Machines CPU and Memory Load - Radial Gauge".

I though the same thing at first, but I found a gauge that looks like it does what you want.  Customize the page an ESX server is on and add/move to the top the "ESX Virtual Machines CPU and Memory Load - Radial Gauge".

Netlogix:

Thanks, that helped.  So this gauge shows the percentage of total host memory and CPU used? I ask because the title reads "Virtual Machines", though it seems to reflect the host resources instead. Host info is what we were looking for so if this is the case, we're good to go.

netlogix

I'm not exactly sure, the way I read it is that it is the amount of CPU/Memory used by guests.  Which gets close to what I want, but I don't think it takes the ESX usage into consideration (like the process time to do a VCB, vMotion, overhead of running VM, etc.), but I think it is better than nothing.

jejones

Install was easy, went well..

Only issue I have no is several alerts are not coming through correctly

One example is the rogue access points.

Jeff

bshopp

Jeff, can you open a support ticket on this one please so we can look into

ecklerwr1

I have to also ask about number 2 from this thread:

Sonar Requests/Questions

I haven't changed my network at  all and have an SL500 NPM license... now when I run network discovery it  discovers everything over again even though they are already in the  database... then when I try to get past adding the topology information  discovered to the database it kicks out an error saying my license does  cover this many elements.  This is really frustrating because it's  double counting all my elements and won't let me get the topology data  added to my database so "connect now" will work.  I would have only  expected the banner to list the real new nodes found... not all of the  ones already in the database.

So basically it looks like this:

If you want Network Sonar to work you better buy a license for twice  as many elements as you have or it WILL NOT WORK!

bshopp

ecklerw1,

Your last statement is not accurate, to make network sonar to work you do not have to do what you are saying.  If the node, interface or volume already exists in your DB, it will skip on import and not count more against your license.  Something weird is going on here.

Do you have multiple polling engines?

ecklerwr1

Update:

Brandon has helped me to get though the running of network sonar without violating my licensed number of elements.  After running network sonar during the import process I was able to select a few devices without all their interfaces and have them then checked against the database.  At this point Sonar realized the node or nodes were already in my database and didn't re-add them.  I split up my total devices already in the NPM database into a couple groups and then loaded them from the ran discovery profile one group at a time.  This worked so if you too are running into a similar problem with a too many elements violating your element limit... take a subset of devices and only select some of the interfaces to test against the NPM database if they are already in NPM.

r0berth1

My experience was not good. Guess I will have to uninstall and rebuild NPM and NTA installation. 

chris.smouse

r0berth1 -

Very sorry to hear about this.  We would love to help resolve your RC upgrade issues.  Please put in a support ticket and reference this thwack post, so we can walk through what happened.

viol8tor

This by far has been my worst upgrade experience.

It took 24 hours to upgrade 1 of my Solarwinds environments. I started at 2:00 PM on a Friday afternoon (- granted, I did kill the upgrade once, when 2 hours had lapsed -) and did not have a fully functional and running version until a little after 2:00 PM on Saturday.

Unlike some folks out there, I do not have the luxury of truncating any of my bigger tables. The upgrade was excruciating slow and required multiple restarts of the Upgrade.  Every time the upgrade erred out, I had to shrink the trans logs and release space.  - Trans logs would grow to 45GB in a matter of minutes (The total DB size is only 100GB).

I guess the lesson learned here is make sure the space for your trans logs is at least twice as large as your DB.

I still have a larger environment I have to upgrade, but will proceed with caution (and obviously, get a larger volume allocated for my temp db / trans logs.)

-v

chris.smouse

Hi viol8tor -

So sorry to hear about your bad upgrade experience.

I encourage you to contact Support about your long upgrade time issue, especially if you still need to upgrade additional environments with large Syslog tables.  They have a SQL script that can be run to migrate the syslog data outside the Orion 10 RC3 installer, and in a way that should reduce considerably the amount of transaction log space used.

What kinds of errors were you seeing when the upgrade "erred out?"

viol8tor

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your concern. The errors were 'time out' errors or trans log full errors.

What I saw on the SQL server is a lot of waits, specifically - PAGEIOLATCH_EX.

I too was hoping it was isolated to the alter table function on the syslog table, but unfortunately, the same problem persisted once I got passed the syslog table in the upgrade process.

I'm planning to dissect all the logs in the next day or two to see if I can isolate a specific issue.

Thanks,

-v

hesonder

Installed NPM 10 RC3 last week, no issues with installation and use (also using APM, IPAM and NCM). This is probably the cleanest upgrade I have done.

The only thing that bugs me is that it is still not possible to get performance data of the resources (CPU, volumes and interfaces). for the sake of argument let's say that this question is out of ignorance (or at least no further research), but will it be possible that NPM can populate this data via the VMWare API, or will this data remain illusive?

Henk E.