This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Who Uses Cisco DHCP?

As I mentioned in my post on what we're working for IPAM here, we are working on adding support for Cisco DHCP in IPAM.  Who out there is using one or more Cisco DHCP servers?  I'd like to ask you a few questions offline about your configuration.

Thanks!

Craig

• Hi There,

We often run Cisco DHCP via routers for our customers on their MPLS network, particularly those with VOIP phones.   If I can be of any help, by all means give me a shout. :)
    I have a test network I run here for Dev work and also have a Dynamips network I can connect up to a PC with emulated 2600/7200 routers (for practicing obscure BGP/MPLS work) so if theres things you want me to try out, I'm happy to help.

Cheers
    James

• Hi there. we have quite a lot of switches and routers that run DHCP where we have no servers on site. Id be happy to test/provide info.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to mattjenkins

Hello, most of our sites are using routers or switches for DHCP and would be happy to help out.

• Thanks, everyone!  I will be reaching out to you individually offline.

-Craig

• Add us to the list.  We use Cisco DHCP for our guest wireless and our satellite location.

John

• We are currently working on this for the next release.  Another question for you guys: how many of you use nested scopes with your Cisco DHCP servers?  In other words, the Cisco DHCP server allows you to create scopes that share the same IP address space (Microsoft DHCP doesn't allow this).  How many of you are creating scopes on your Cisco DHCP server that have overlapping address space?

Thanks!

Craig

• We do not use overlapping scopes at this time.

• Hi There,

When we send customers HA kit (running HSRP for example)  we tend to replicate the DHCP scope to both routers.   One of the issues in splitting it up means that they'll need a big enough scope to cover the machines twices over which means a large waste in address space.   The Cisco's can be configured in such a way that having the same scope on both devices isn't a huge problem.   You can introduce artificial delay in the secondary to make sure the primary always gets used first (unless is down) or simple features like having the Cisco attempt to ping the address its looking to allocate to ensure its not in use.   If any of the parts fail the conflict resoution in Cisco's I've found is quite swift and as long as you set the conflict ageouts and rebinds etc accurately it seems to work fine.

Cheers

• Are you asking who is uses Cisco CNR (dhcp) product or who uses DHCP process on cisco router ? Based on responses you were getting so far I'm assuming the latter.

We have 4 clusters of Cisco CNR. Used to manage ip address space (dhcp) for desktops, voip, wifi etc. Our CNR is running on Solaris. If I can be of assistance let me know. We are not using Solarwinds IPAM.

• +1 for CNR,
    We use it strictly as DNS/DHCP and are evaluating IPAM for IP management.

Thanks,

Aaron