This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Customizing Node Details for Spanning Tree Time Change

Little background:

Using Orion NPM v9.5 SP5

I have setup a Universal Poller for Spanning Tree (OID 1.3.6.1.2.1.17.2.3) that pulls the time since the last topology change, and then I am Transforming the results into minutes and displaying it on the web Node Details page.

The problem is that this view is horrible.  I just keeps showing the trend as it climbs the chart and goes into infinity with the minutes.  I am trying to transform this OID into Days, Hours, Min or close to it, to make it more readable.

The problem I have is that the poller doesnt support SQL queries (syntax) and therefore I cannot pull the number and divide it as needed to split it up into the DAYS, HOURS, MIN sections.

Things I have tried:

Transforming the results using the available functions in the Poller, very limited.

Editing the \Inetpub\SolarWinds\Orion\NetPerfMon\Resources\NodeDetails\NodeDetails.ascx and cs files to pull the OID/Poller/SystemResource and perform the math to show the time in Days, hrs, min.   No luck.

Creating a custom alert that triggers when the Topology change falls to less than 5 (minutes).  Been pretty successful, as I can now see the value in Days, Hrs, min.  But only due to the fact that the alert manager allows SQL queries.

I am curious how the ascx pages pulls the data from the database.  For instance:

<tr>
      <td class="Property" width="10"> </td>
      <td class="PropertyHeader">Last Boot</td>
      <td class="Property"> </td>
      <td class="Property"><%#Eval("ObjectProperties[\"LastBoot\"]", "{0:f}")%> </td>
    </tr>

Is pulling from the SQL Nodes table and grabs from the "LastBoot" column which shows a DataType of "smalldatetime".

If it were possible to pull the spanning tree time information from the custom poller table, run the day, hr, min, calculations on it, and then add it to the ascx page that would be perfect.

Although I am not sure if anyone has tried anything like this.  I have seen some custom code that shows System Uptime (which I would also like to add to the node details page) but not sure the details behind how it works.

I maybe over reaching here, but any help would be great!

• Hi Nakoz--

I've marked this for the PM to review. At this point, you may also want to open a support ticket at:
    http://www.solarwinds.com/support/ticket
    Click Submit a Technical Support Ticket
    In order to receive technical support, you will need to be current on your SolarWinds maintenance. Complete the
    form. You will not be able to upload your Orion diagnostics, but you will receive an email back that allows you to upload diagnostics.

M