31 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2010 9:38 PM by Donald_Francis

What We're Working on for Orion IPAM

macnugetz

Here are the latest features and goodness we're working on for Orion IPAM.

• Cisco DHCP Support - we've got Microsoft DHCP, but we've had many requests for being able to pull leases from Cisco DHCP servers as well.
      • Indirect Discovery - this is another IP status discovery method that will give us an accurate status even if ICMP and SNMP are blocked or disabled.
      • Search Improvements - you asked for it, so we're giving you the ability to search on any field.

What do you think?

-Craig

PLEASE NOTE:  We are working on these items based on this priority order, but this is NOT a commitment that all of these enhancements will make the next release.  We are working on a number of other smaller features in parallel.   If you have comments or questions on any of these items (e.g. how would it work?) or would like to be included in a preview demo, please let us know!

• Re: What We're Working on for Orion IPAM
          JesperVestergaard

Hi

I think it´s a start :)

I would like to see stuff like:

• Alerting (and automated "reset" when a scanning halts
          • Delegation of access, pr sub(super)net
          • Bulk import of subnets

And much more.... :)

macnugetz

Thanks, Jesper!  As always, your feedback is greatly appreciated.  What do you mean by bulk import of subnets?  You can import address files today, as well as bulk add subnets (we added this in 1.6).

-Craig

JesperVestergaard

Hi Craig

When i´m tasked with "asuming control of yet another network out there", the info i can collect is normally an excell speradsheet with the subnets assigned per depot, site, location, or usage of the scope. Normally i don´t get much info about the specific IP´s and as high level info, i don´t care ! :)   - Also, most info i can get, does not even contain that information.

What i do care about, is ot spending hour after hour manually typing theese super and subnets into IPAM, especially when they are not equal bit sizes. - If they were, i could use the subnet allocation wizzard  - Which i agree, is a HUGE benefit from pre 1.6 versions :)

vhabaccisco

You know what would make this a really killer app?  Automatic discovery of the switch/port the device is located on.  I know Switch Port Mapper and Ciscoworks does this but if it could be integrated into IPAM, I think that a lot of people would buy it just for that functionality alone.  Please think about it.  Shouldn't be too hard to do either.

macnugetz

vhabaccisco,

You should be able to use your existing Orion/Toolset integration to achieve this.  If you're running Toolset 10.4 or greater, you should have the Workspace Studio menu option available via the right-click Toolset integration with Orion.  Simply right-click on an IP in IPAM >> Workspace Studio >> Switch Port Mapper.

Is this what you had in mind?

HTH,

Craig

vhabaccisco

What I meant was to combine the functionality of Switch Port Mapper into IPAM.  My thought was for IPAM to map IP addresses to switch/port automatically as part of a scheduled task.  Like I said, I know this can be done but you certainly wouldn't want to do it every time IPAM scans the subnets due to overhead.  A regular task run once a day would be sufficient for most applications.

vhabaccisco

Another thing that would be handy is the ability to bulk export the entire database to a spreadsheet.  Again, if we could make this a scheduled task it would be a good backup or change tracking.  I could also easily accomplish what I mentioned in my previous posts buy exporting the database, updating the Excel spreadsheet programatically using a CiscoWorks User Tracking output then import the discovered switch/port info into custom fields.

You know what would make this app killer (REALLY!)...

Add the ability to en-mass change subnet properties and groupings. This is basic functionallity folks! (location, description, groupings, scan time, etc...)

Seperate the IPAM database from NPM & Netflow. Seriously, did you really think it wouldn't slow down NPM when you dump tens of thousands of records into the database? --someone needs to be flogged with their own mouse for this one.

DHCP servers other than Microsoft... opps, I said the "M" word. 'nuf said.

Hello,

A big issue is the bug that make subnet allocation wizard to attribute a subnet that is already allocated... If I request a subnet in /30 it propose me subnets included in subnet in /29 or /28 already allocated!!! Very dangerous for our network!!! Will it be fixed? When??? Technical support confirmed that it is a known bug, but they have no idea of when it will be fixed...

Regards,

Nicolas

chrkov

Would be great if you could color code certain IP's in a block.

IE,  We always reserve the first 10 IP's for AP's <- Different Color

We always reserve the next 20 IP's for Backhauls <- Different Color

The rest are fair game.

We do this in excel now and would be nice to do in IPAM also.

ynchan38

How about function to join and split subnets?

i.e. joing two /29 subnets to form a /28 subnet or splitting a /16 to 256 class C

Another function is nice to have is the ability to cross check a large number of subnets with existing assignment to report conflict.

It is a very common function for merger and acquisition when integrating two companies network together to identify overlapping address space.

Thanks,

Andrew Chan

jspanitz

A way to expose all the fields IPAM captures (Alias, IP6, Machine Type, Vendor,etc) )on the IP ADDRESS VIEW.

A way to click on the IP Address or DNS Name of an object in the IPAM list that is also either in NPM or APM and have it take you to appropriate area in NPM or APM.  In other words, a link between objects in the different applications.

If any of this already exists, my appologies, I looked and read, but did not see it.

John

ynchan38

Yes, that's true.

Why not get all the IP addresses already defined and verified in NPM and APM appears in IPAM automatically.

If there is a link between NPM devices and IPAM addresses, we will be able to identify devices with multiple addresses (e.g. routers and L3 switches)

smartd

I agree.  I'd like to be able to click the IP address in Node Details and be taken to the IPAM entry.  I'd like to click the IP address in IPAM and  be taken to the NPM entry.

-=Dan=-

jstephenson

ynchan38 - I was thinking something similar to your idea...

I find it extremely frustrating and time wasting to have to define all my devices for each SW Application I install.  Why can't all the devices be put in one central database, and the apps configured to poll that database for device list, and just maintain thier own DB's with the data that is specifc to that application...  This would prevent performance issues and data base sizes from getting out of control, while still allowing a user to plug in a new app, and instantly have all the devices defined...

Another reason to do this is so that if security settings change, lets say you move from SNMPv2 to SNMPv3, you don't have to go in to each app to updatre that, it could pull that down when it pulls down the device list...

I really like the Solar Winds tools (was extatic when my company approved my purchase), I just wish the integration was a bit cleaner both in the manner noted above, as well as in functionality, so much is duplicated in the various apps......

jmiddleton

A feature that I would find really useful is a supernet allocation wizard, as currently I'm having to  manually create them and I'm normally creating a supernet and a number of subnets togeher.

smartd

Now that NPM 10 has scheduled discovery, and sonar does a great job of finding subnets, why don't these subnets get updated in IPAM. 

I'd also like to see a BGP AS Number Manager.  I currently have it as a Custom filed, but having more integrated AS and VLAN capability (views) would be great.

You really need to able to double click an address to update its properties.

Moving Subnets into groups on the subnet screen is very tedius.

I would like to see Linux DHCP server support

aaron_daniels

• Cisco DHCP Support - we've got Microsoft DHCP, but we've had many requests for being able to pull leases from Cisco DHCP servers as well.

Just for clarification, what is a Cisco DHCP server?

is that Cisco IOS DHCP Server (router) or Cisco Network Registrar (DNS/DHCP Application).

My vote is for both :)

Three things I would really like to see in the next version of IPAM

1) Warnings when creating a duplicate subnet or when creating a subnet that overlaps with an already created subnet. THIS IS A BIG ONE

2) After creating a supernet, some sort of summary that will keep track of and report all the available subnets within that supernet that have not been assigned yet.

3) The ability to merge subnets, so take two /29 subnets and merge them into a /28 or be able to expand a /29 subnet into a /28. As is is now if I want to make a /29 a /28 I have to delete the subnet and all the custom entries and then recreate it.

ynchan38

It is so true that you can create duplicate subnets now.  A report that can show duplicate subnets would be nice.

The tool also too focusing on IP address only and ignore the important of managing subnets as well.  As IP management tool, it is equally important to be able to manage subnet assignment and reporting too.

It would be nice to have IP Address Search to return the subnet of IP address fall in too.  Currently, if I did not create the IP addresses within the subnet, I cannot do a search to see if a subnet already existed and which group / subnet I created under.

smartd

I'd like a view that would show IP subnets in numerical order (2 is smaller than 11), Since subnets are buried in supernets and groups, this would show all the subnets and which overlap, etc.

I use groups to bundle up non-contiguous supernets and I put every subnet in a container supernet.  Trying to hunt down a subnet in a group becomes a problem.

To repeat a previous message, I also would like to keep for each Subnet the VLAN ID, Default Gateway, BGP AS, OSPF Area, DHCP Helper.  I'd love to have a sort/screen I suggested above to allow sorting by these other attributes.

is there an API so I can integrate Orion IPAM with some of our home grown tools?