This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Enterasys - Experimental SNMP Trap Logging Issue

I am currently running NPM 9.5 SP2 and I am having an issue logging a specific trap to Syslog. 

I am seeing the following Traps in the Trap View:

Trap Time    IP Address    Hostname    Community String    Trap Type    Trap Details
1/1/1999 7:01:16 PM    10.X.X.X    10.X.X.X    private    ENTERASYS-POWER-ETHERNET-EXT-MIB:etsysPseChassisPowerRedundant    sysUpTime=13 days 9 hours 25 minutes 22.00 seconds

snmpTrapOID=ENTERASYS-POWER-ETHERNET-EXT-MIB:etsysPseChassisPowerRedundant

Trap Time    IP Address    Hostname    Community String    Trap Type    Trap Details
1/1/1999 7:01:16 PM    10.X.X.X    10.X.X.X    private    ENTERASYS-POWER-ETHERNET-EXT-MIB:etsysPseChassisNONPowerRedundant    sysUpTime=13 days 9 hours 25 minutes 22.00 seconds

snmpTrapOID=ENTERASYS-POWER-ETHERNET-EXT-MIB:etsysPseChassisPowerNONRedundant

I want to push these two traps to Syslog on the local NPM server, but when I go to add a rule my "Actions" are limited to  allows me to "Forwarding" the trap using a UDP port.

So as a test I am forwarding them to port 162 and 514 on the server, but when I pull the power on the switch it shows up in the Trap Viewer but not in Syslog.

Any idea?  Am I missing something or making this too difficult.  Honestly if I could just send all the traps to syslog that would be even better, but I will take what I can get.

• Hi nakoz--

Did you try searching thwack for syslog and traps? Here's what I got:

http://thwack.com/search/thwacksearch.aspx?q=traps+and+syslogso,

Also, I know that the NPM development team is working on syslogs and traps for the upcoming 10.0 release.

Also, you might want to open a support ticket here.
    http://www.solarwinds.com/support/ticket
    Click Submit a Technical Support Ticket
    In order to receive technical support, you will need to be current on your SolarWinds maintenance. Complete the form. You will not be able to upload your Orion diagnostics, but you will receive an email back that allows you to upload diagnostics.

HTH,

M

• The problem I had with the Enterasys is that I already have syslog setup to send to the NPM server, but these traps never make it to the syslog.  After doing some research on Orion it seems that it doesnt really convert from SNMP to syslog, unless you can grab the trap using the Alert Manager and after its triggered forward it on to syslog.  The problem I have is that the Alert Manager is not that customizable for SNMP traps.

HOWEVER,

I did come up with a solution to my problem.  Solarwinds makes a free tool called "Log Forwarder for Windows" that will forward entries in the windows event log to a syslog server.
    Therefore, by using the Trap View (comes with Orion) i setup a new rule that would forward the trap to the windows event log, and then using the Log Forwarder I shoot the message out to the syslog server.
    I know its a little crude but it does work, and really its only one extra step to get it out to syslog.

• Awesome, thanks for posting it.

M