This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Question about polling and statistics w/ regard to total bytes transferred report.

I have 120 second polling and 5 minute stats collection on a particular interface.  When I run a total bytes transferred report for the month, is it only adding up the number collected at each 5 minute interval and reporting that as total bytes transferred?  Or is it somehow consolidating bytes transferred for the last 4min 59secs into that 5 minute collection?

This report is being produced on request of a customer and I want to make sure I understand exactly what it is telling them.

Thanks!

klc2009

• A related, hopefully, question: what do the bars in the chart represent? Total bytes transferred within the timeframe that bar covers? Or average number of bytes transferred per hour?

Screen Shot 2016-03-23 at 12.53.10 PM.png

If that's the case, I should take the above chart as, "bytes transferred" from 6:00 to 11:59 on March 18 were 7TB total.

Yet if I zoom in on this same chart, the total of the bars in that same time period represent about 42TB: from 6am to 11am, the values on the bars are 4.1, 5.8, 3.6, 5.6, 11.9 and 10.8TB, totaling 41.8TB.

Screen Shot 2016-03-23 at 12.58.35 PM.png

Does this mean the bars in the top chart aren't "total bytes" for each timeframe a bar covers, but rather, "average per hour"? If so, shouldn't the chart's title say exactly that, "average per hour" rather than "total"?

Thanks!