1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 23, 2016 3:12 PM by akhasheni

Question about polling and statistics w/ regard to total bytes transferred report.

klc2009

I have 120 second polling and 5 minute stats collection on a particular interface.  When I run a total bytes transferred report for the month, is it only adding up the number collected at each 5 minute interval and reporting that as total bytes transferred?  Or is it somehow consolidating bytes transferred for the last 4min 59secs into that 5 minute collection?

This report is being produced on request of a customer and I want to make sure I understand exactly what it is telling them.

Thanks!

klc2009

• Re: Question about polling and statistics w/ regard to total bytes transferred report.
          akhasheni

A related, hopefully, question: what do the bars in the chart represent? Total bytes transferred within the timeframe that bar covers? Or average number of bytes transferred per hour?

Screen Shot 2016-03-23 at 12.53.10 PM.png

If that's the case, I should take the above chart as, "bytes transferred" from 6:00 to 11:59 on March 18 were 7TB total.

Yet if I zoom in on this same chart, the total of the bars in that same time period represent about 42TB: from 6am to 11am, the values on the bars are 4.1, 5.8, 3.6, 5.6, 11.9 and 10.8TB, totaling 41.8TB.

Screen Shot 2016-03-23 at 12.58.35 PM.png

Does this mean the bars in the top chart aren't "total bytes" for each timeframe a bar covers, but rather, "average per hour"? If so, shouldn't the chart's title say exactly that, "average per hour" rather than "total"?

Thanks!