7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2010 3:28 AM by anachronism

MRTG

dclick

I have seen some posts that state that Orion can do the same thing as MRTG and related class of software.  I have a couple of MRTG templates that we use to measure the RSL on some microwave links.

Does anyone know how to properly convert the mrtg template to a udp? (im not so savvy with snmp, and when I look at it, i cant get what I think it should be).

any pointers helpfull.

TIA!

Don Click

Orion NPM 9.5.1

NTA/APM

• Re: MRTG
          sonic6t9

MRTG graphs just use snmp to fill in the information. Just model them into NPM and you will get the same results. You can look in the cacti graphs and find out what the mib numbers are.  It depends on what all you are looking for. NPM can get a bunch of basic stuff without having to customize.

dclick

thanks, and that is prety much what I tried.  Ill try again.

sonic6t9

What are you trying to add? some will need you to put the SNMP destination of your Solarwinds boxes into the config. But like I said it depends on the type of device you are trying to add. can you even add them into NPM or is it failing?

dclick

I am not having much luck getting this to work, but it could be because I just do not really know exactly what I need to do.  I am still looking at it, but I think I have the UDP set correctly - now to figure out what "option" to put on the nodes detail view.

We have a couple of Western Multiplex Tsunami Wireless Bridges that we have another (competing?) software measuring the RSL values.  I think it uses a MRTG tempalte (at least, thats what this software calls it).

This is what I am trying to convert:

Target[1515]: (1.3.6.1.4.1.3727.20.20.4.2.0&1.3.6.1.4.1.3727.20.20.4.2.0:NothingButNet@10.223.38.248:161:2:2:1:2) * -1
                      YLegend[1515]: RSL
                      ShortLegend[1515]: dBm
                      MaxBytes[1515]: 100
                      Options[1515]: nopercent, gauge, unknaszero
                      Unscaled[1515]: dwmy
                      Legend1[1515]: Radio Signal Length
                      Legend2[1515]: .
                      Legend3[1515]: .
                      Legend4[1515]: .
                      LegendI[1515]: Current RSL:
                      LegendO[1515]: .
                      Title[1515]: 10.223.38.248
                      PageTop[1515]: <H1>10.223.38.248</h1>
                      Colours[1515]: GREEN#00eb0c,BLUE#0000ff,GRAY#AAAAAA,VIOLET#ff00ff
                      WithPeak[1515]: ymw
                      noHC[1515]: no

Here is one of the graphs we get:

dclick

I have been able to get a "gauge" on my node view, but I am curious how to convert this "negative" number to a positve one as shown in my previous post?

Actually, figured out how to show the History - so now, I need to poll for a few hours to see some results..

Dont suppose there is a way to import the historical data from the other system (mysql based) into Orion? :)

thanks for the comments - its helped me figure out how to get this figured out! 

bshopp

No way to import historical data, sorry.  Where are you now that you have some data?

I have been able to get a "gauge" on my node view, but I am curious how to convert this "negative" number to a positve one as shown in my previous post?

Actually, figured out how to show the History - so now, I need to poll for a few hours to see some results..

Dont suppose there is a way to import the historical data from the other system (mysql based) into Orion? :)

thanks for the comments - its helped me figure out how to get this figured out! 

Create a transform that multiplies the negative result returned by -1 should give you a positive value, if that's what you need. The transforms can be set up in the universal device poller setup. 

HTH.