3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2010 10:17 AM by SteveSW

Toolset v10.5 Workspace Creating Folders/Files

On initial launch, Workspace creates quite a few files under the local user profile.  This is to be expected, however, the application creates a file under C:\Solarwinds\Dashboard.  This is an XML configuration file (WmiCreds.xml).

Several other configuration files are located under %userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\SolarWinds\Dashboard.  Are these related?  Is there a way to relocate the WmiCreds.xml file to this location, or at least the application folder?  I'm going to get pushback from my sysadmins when they see this, and it just looks downright sloppy.

-Anthony

• Re: Toolset v10.5 Workspace Creating Folders/Files
          SteveSW

Anthony,

We've looked into this and determined that there is a bug causing that configuration file to be written to the wrong location. It will be fixed in an upcoming release. Unfortunately, for now you won't be able to relocate that file. We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for identifying that issue for us.

--

Steve

Thank you for the prompt response!  Can you tell me if it's vital that this file is created and users can access it?  Which features of the application are affected? 

-Anthony

SteveSW

Anthony,

This file will only impact the WMI Browser Gadget in the Workspace studio. When you start up an instance of that gadget it will attempt to read that xml file. When you close down an instance of that gadget it will attempt to write to that xml file. If it is unable to read or write to that file the WMI Browser Gadget will continue to function it will just not be able to save any credentials you added. So the impact on you will be that you will need to add your WMI credentials in every new instance of the WMI Browser Gadget.

So the file is only critical if you frequently use the WMI Browser Gadget and have a lot of different credentials to keep track of. In this case I would suggest using SolarWind's WMI Browser Free Tool until the Toolset containing the fix is released.

--

Steve