5 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2010 7:50 AM by michalB

Orion Network Atlas not showing child status

cperry@mjh.org

I have created several nested maps, upper level is a city map with links to all remote sites. Each remote site map has nodes for the site. Site map will display any node errors, but the upper level map with links to site do not show status of nested child nodes.

From main map object shows as green. When I select a site map the node show in green, but with RED dot showing in this case interface down.  I would like to get this information passed up to top level map.  All mapped objects have include child status.

• Re: Orion Network Atlas not showing child status
          cperry@mjh.org

Update: If I add the node to the map with all interfaces and any interfaces are down object is seen as up. If I add the interface as well as node to map then linked maps show object in a non-green state.

I have a node that is up but one of the interfaces are down. I would like to be alerted from main Map if anything linked to an object is not UP.

michalB

Child status of a node does not influence the status of the map. If you want an object to influence map status, place it directly on the map.

dperkerson

I am having a similar problem and I believe that it is something that could be changed in the product and would make it much better. I have a nested map that is three layers deep. The top map is of the country with an icon on each state/country representing a map of that location (level 1). When you drill down to that map you see icons that link to maps of the sites that are in that state/country (level 2). Clicking on those icons give you a map of the equipment in that location (level 3). In this example level 1 is US, level 2 is Texas, and level 3 is Data Center 2. I have a node down at level 3. The level 2 map has an icon with a small red square in the corner for the level 3 map. The level 1 map does not indicate that any problem exists. This should bubble all the way to the top. My operations staff get the alert in nodes with problems but can't trace the problem through the maps to find the issue.

Why shouldn't the product reflect the degraded state of the map that it links to?

Any possibility that the way this works could be changed?

dperkerson

Follow-up post. The EMEA team runs a server that currently shows an entire site is down. This bubbles through multiple layers (4 I believe) and shows on the top map. Does an entire map have to be down to cause this to happen?

michalB

Status of a child map propagates to its parent map and affects the parent map status.

The resulting map status depends on the status evaluation method which is set in the Orion settings, under Web Console Settings. There are two methods which can be set – Mixed and Worst.

With the Mixed method, if all objects on the map have the same status, then the map has the same status as objects. If one or more objects on the map have status Down or Warning and other objects are Up then map has the Warning status.

With the Worst method, the map has the status of the worst object which belongs to this map.

2 Examples:

1)

Let’s assume 3-layer maps: Layer2 -> Layer1 -> ParentMap

Layer2 map contains two nodes – 1 Up and 1 Down.

Layer1 map contains Layer2 map and 1 Up node.

Parent map contains Layer1 map.

Then the maps will have the following statuses:

-         For the Mixed status evaluation method:

Layer2 map has status “Warning”

Layer1 map has status “Warning” (bubbled from Laye2 map)

Parent map has status “Warning” (bubbled from Laye1 map)

-         For the Worst status evaluation method:

Layer2 map has status “Down”

Layer1 map has status “Down” (bubbled from Laye2 map)

Parent map has status “Down” (bubbled from Laye1 map)

2)

Let’s assume 3-layer maps: Layer2 -> Layer1 -> ParentMap

Layer2 map contains 2 Down nodes

Layer1 map contains Layer2 map and 1 Down node.

Parent map contains Layer1 map.

Then the maps will have the following statuses:

-         For the Mixed status evaluation method:

Layer2 map has status “Down” (all objects on the map have the same status).

Layer1 map has status “Down” (bubbled from Laye2 map and all other objects on the map have the same status as Layer2 map)

-         For the Worst status evaluation method:

Layer2 map has status “Down”

Layer1 map has status “Down” (bubbled from Laye2 map)

Child statuses from any object on the map are NOT propagated to the parent map as well as it has no influence to the current map status.