2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2010 5:11 AM by dfollis

Polling engine shown as down, but it isn't.

dfollis

I have a few issues.  Running NPM 9.5.1, NTA 3.6, and APM 3.1.  Orion Server is Server 2003 SP2 32bit, talking to dedicated SQL 2008 DB on Server 2008 x64.  All is working fine, except when I look at the Polling Engines application, it shows a red dot and that it is down.

Another question, as I'm running dedicated SQL, does the Windows Internal Database still need to be running on the Orion Server.  That shows as service option to start or stop from the Orion Services application.

Finally, when I log into Orion from home over our VPN from a Windows 7 x64 PC, I constatly get the pop up for the Solar Winds Toolset API.  I answer yes or no but it does not matter.  It keeps popping up after every page refresh.  Very annoying.

• Re: Polling engine shown as down, but it isn't.
          neilmborilla

All is working fine, except when I look at the Polling Engines application, it shows a red dot and that it is down.

Is it down for a long period? You can check if the services are all UP in Orion Service Manager. You can also check if the polling engine still polling on it's assigned node

Another question, as I'm running dedicated SQL, does the Windows Internal Database still need to be running on the Orion Server.  That shows as service option to start or stop from the Orion Services application..

Im not sure about this but you should not be using two database. if the dedicated SQL server is running then wha's the purpose of keeping the "internal" DB?

Finally, when I log into Orion from home over our VPN from a Windows 7 x64 PC, I constatly get the pop up for the Solar Winds Toolset API.  I answer yes or no but it does not matter.  It keeps popping up after every page refresh.  Very annoying.

• Open up all security settings for ActiveX Controls (like you stated above)
          • Make sure the Orion website is in the Trusted group
          • Open the browser, and manually download the SWToolset.exe
          • http://<orionserver>/Swtoolset.exe
          • Save this file somewhere (hopefully where all users will have rights)
          • Open a command prompt with Administrator Rights (accessories -> right mouse click -> Run as administrator
          • Very important: Close all your browsers to the Orion website!
          • Navigate to the folder where you saved the SWToolset.exe file
          • Run "SWToolset.exe /regserver".
          • Open the browser, nav to Orion, and see if it asks you again about installing the ActiveX (it shouldn't, you just did it manually).
          • If you do not get the message, give something a right click and see if you get the menu.

Reference: Re: Engineers Toolset V10.2 integration with Orion NPM

Enjoy solarwinds!!! :)

• Re: Polling engine shown as down, but it isn't.
              dfollis

Thanks for ideas.  SWToolset /regserver was the fix as was adding Orion to Trusted hosts.

Reboot appears to have resolved polling error.  That was after and update to perhaps reboot was needed, anyway it is working now.

Windows internal DB is still running.  I'll have to dig into that and see what is up as I know that my main SQL DB is what is holding all Orion data.