This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Alerting Engine Errors in the Windows Event Log - need a little assistance.

Team,
Following is my recent email thread to support.  Has anyone seen this and does anyone have any idea what could be wrong with the alerts?  Also is this normal SolarWinds support?  I have a production system with no idea why I have the following errors.
Thanks for your help!
benb
Team,

Thanks for the response.  What is meant by “configured incorrectly”?  What is it about these alerts that cause the errors indicated?

Thanks!

ben breeland

Sent: Thursday, February 18, 2010 8:17 PM
To: Ben Breeland
Subject: Case Update: 143685 - Alerting engie error in Windows Event Log

Update for Case #143685 - "Alerting engie error in Windows Event Log"

These Alerts are the Ones that are configured incorrectly giving the Windows Error:

P1 Device Down
P2 Server Process
P2 Server Web Page Availabillity
P3 Device Slow Ping Response
P2 Server Low Customer Storage Space
P2 Server Windows Service
P2 Server High CPU
P3 Excessive Device Interface Errors/Today
P2 Server SQL Query
P1 Server Nobu Slor Mount Availability
P3 Excessive Device Interface Discards/Today
High Subnet Usage Monitoring
P2 Server Nobu Passenger Global Queue
P3 Server Low Virtual Memory
P2 Server Nobu Passenger Active Monitor
P3 Server Volume Zero Size
P3 Server Low Local Disk
P2 Server Script Monitor
P2 Server Low Physical Memory
P1 Server Nobu Slor Mount Availability - Slor1 (temp)
P3 High Interface Utilization
P1 Device Packet Loss
P2 Interface Is Down
(TEST) Promise Sysname Poller
P2 Server TCP Port
High DHCP Scope Usage Monitoring
P1 Server Volume Inaccessible

Regards,
Sean Martinez

Message History
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday , February 18, 2010 07:06 pm CST (GMT-06:00)
Subject: Alerting engie error in Windows Event Log

Team,

Diagnostic files submitted.

ben breeland

[mailto:support@solarwinds.net]
Sent: Thursday, February 18, 2010 8:05 PM
Subject: Case Update: 143685 - Alerting engie error in Windows Event Log

Update for Case #143685 - "Alerting engie error in Windows Event Log"

Thank you for contacting Solarwinds Technical Support. Can you Please Provide Diagnostics so I can see which Alerts are configured Incorrectly. Go to Start> Programs> Solarwinds Orion> Documentation and support> Orion Diagnostics. Save the zip to the Desktop.
If the ZIP is larger than 5MB:
Here are the instructions to upload the files:
  1. Go to
http://solarwinds.leapfile.com and click "Secure Upload"
  2. Enter
support@solarwinds.net as the "Receiver Email"
  3. Fill out the form and attach the files you are sending
   Please reply to this e-mail to let me know when it is uploaded.

Regards;
Sean Martinez

Message History
        Sent: Thursday , February 18, 2010 05:55 pm CST (GMT-06:00)

Team,

Installed APM v3.1 and NPM 9.5.1. Alerting error continue to include the following. Please have a look and advis

2010-02-18 18:46:26,920 [MainTaskThread] ERROR All - Exception in MainTask Loop - Unable to create DB connection sleeping 30 seconds

2010-02-18 18:46:22,920 [AlertCheckingThread] ERROR Error - Error in ExecuteSQLAlert() -

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at AlertingEngine.CheckAlert.ExecuteSQLAlert()

2010-02-18 18:45:59,170 [AlertCheckingThread] WARN Error - Unable to connect to DB in ActionAddToNPMEventLog.ExecuteAction

Diagnostic logs to follow.

Thanks!

ben breeland

Sent: Thursday, February 18, 2010 2:34 PM
        Subject: Case # 143685 Created: Alerting engie error in Windows Event Log

Thank you for contacting SolarWinds, Inc. Customer Support.

Your request for assistance has been received. Case #143685 - "Alerting engie error in Windows Event Log" has been created for you. A member of our customer support team will respond to your case as soon as possible.

If you would like to send us additional information, such as syslogs, screenshots or MIBs, or inquire about the status of this case, please reply to this email.

Need to reset your license? Download License Manager from your customer portal: support.solarwinds.com/Support.

Visit our support forum at:
www.thwack.com.

Message History
                Team,

I am seeing a continuios stream of these errors in the Solawinds.net Windows event log.

2010-02-18 14:16:30,769 [AlertCheckingThread] ERROR Error - Error in ExecuteSQLAlert() -
                System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Please advise if this is a problem and a possible resolution.

Thanks!

Sent: Thursday , February 18, 2010 01:34 pm CST (GMT-06:00)

Team,

I am seeing a continuios stream of these errors in the Solawinds.net Windows event log.

2010-02-18 14:16:30,769 [AlertCheckingThread] ERROR Error - Error in ExecuteSQLAlert() -

Thanks!

Sent: Thursday , February 18, 2010 07:04 pm CST (GMT-06:00)

Thank you for contacting Solarwinds Technical Support. Can you Please Provide Diagnostics so I can see which Alerts are configured Incorrectly. Go to Start> Programs> Solarwinds Orion> Documentation and support> Orion Diagnostics. Save the zip to the Desktop.
If the ZIP is larger than 5MB:
Here are the instructions to upload the files:
  1. Go to
http://solarwinds.leapfile.com and click "Secure Upload"
  2. Enter
support@solarwinds.net as the "Receiver Email"
  3. Fill out the form and attach the files you are sending
   Please reply to this e-mail to let me know when it is uploaded.

Regards;
Sean Martinez

Sent: Thursday , February 18, 2010 05:55 pm CST (GMT-06:00)

Team,

Installed APM v3.1 and NPM 9.5.1. Alerting error continue to include the following. Please have a look and advis

2010-02-18 18:46:26,920 [MainTaskThread] ERROR All - Exception in MainTask Loop - Unable to create DB connection sleeping 30 seconds

2010-02-18 18:46:22,920 [AlertCheckingThread] ERROR Error - Error in ExecuteSQLAlert() -

2010-02-18 18:45:59,170 [AlertCheckingThread] WARN Error - Unable to connect to DB in ActionAddToNPMEventLog.ExecuteAction

Diagnostic logs to follow.

Thanks!

ben breeland

Sent: Thursday, February 18, 2010 2:34 PM
Subject: Case # 143685 Created: Alerting engie error in Windows Event Log

Thank you for contacting SolarWinds, Inc. Customer Support.

Your request for assistance has been received. Case #143685 - "Alerting engie error in Windows Event Log" has been created for you. A member of our customer support team will respond to your case as soon as possible.

If you would like to send us additional information, such as syslogs, screenshots or MIBs, or inquire about the status of this case, please reply to this email.

Need to reset your license? Download License Manager from your customer portal: support.solarwinds.com/Support.

Visit our support forum at:
www.thwack.com.

Message History
        Team,

Thanks!

Sent: Thursday , February 18, 2010 01:34 pm CST (GMT-06:00)

Team,

Thanks!

• Is NPM and the database on the same server?  What kind of server hardware and disk configuration are you using?  You say this is a production system how many elements are in NPM and how big is the database?

This:

From what I know this error usually means the Alerting engine is having problem connecting to the SQL Server which as a result can probably have all kinds of other ramifications.  You started down the correct path by opening a ticket.

• Ben, I took a look at your case and asked the Support Rep to give you a call so that these can be debugged further.

Thanks,
    Mindy

• ecklerwr1,

Thanks for the response.  The database and NPM reside on different servers.  The database is currently about 300MB.

Support seems to believe that some of my alerts are configured incorrectly and are causing database read errors.  I am waiting for a call to work with the Solarwinds team to resolve this.

Thanks.

• Update to this question...

I worked with Solarwinds support for a few hours on this (thanks Solarwinds team!).  We were able to do some database tuning and alert configuration to get Orion working (creating events and sending alarms).  However, the database time out, connectivity, and exception errors continue.

Anyone else experience this type of challenge?  I noticed there was an earlier posting here that indicated a similar solution - fewer errors but no resolution.  Any ideas?

Thanks!

• Update to this question...a resolution

After working with support, we deteremined that there was a problem in my environment (wow - embarrassing). 

We changed  from the fully qualified hostname for the SQL server to the IP address and magically, the connection errors disappeared.  I worked with my network team the next day and it appears we made some changes (where in the heck is change control when you need it). 

Anyway, thanks Support and thanks all of you for your help.

• Where was this changed, I am running 10.4.2 and getting this same error?