4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2010 9:20 AM by dbucks

Network Atlas features

dbucks

Here are 2 features to add to Network Atlas.

1.       The ability to add a wireless thin AP to a map and display the status.

2.       The ability to have an object in the MAP but not have it count in the status of the map.

Many of my maps have two uplinks maps in the map as an objects in the maps. And if any object is down then this down state will flow over to all the maps.  So on my map I have to remove the assignment of the object status from all my uplinks map objects that are in the map and manually set the hyperlink. So it would be nice if I could see the status and have the hyperlink set automatically in the map and not have this object count for the map status.

• Re: Network Atlas features
          bshopp

Good feedback.

Workaround to #1 right now is to add the thin ap's as IMCP only nodes and then they are available to add to maps

dbucks

This workaround would work if we give all the access points set address.

But we would have issues with set address, we need to use dhcp.

The thin AP use dhcp to get there ip address. And when giving an ip address by the dhcp server there is no name giving to the ap yet, so no name in dns. So the olny place that has the name to ip info is in the wireless controllers. 

Plus I do not like to put this load on one of the orion polling servers as we have over 1200 access points.

bshopp

Fair enough on the scale point.  For critical ones you specify that it is a DHCP node to get around that when adding the device.

So if you added it to a map, what would you expect to see besides the thin AP on the map and it's status?

dbucks

The thin access points have no name in dns so you can not use the dhcp for the node in NPM.   The name to ip is only in the wireless controllers.

I would like to see for the rollover for access points ip address, the wireless controller that the access point is using and the number of clients using this access point.

Thanks