7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2010 11:33 AM by adamras

Orion Module Engine stops and restart

purdue98

The Orion Module Engine stops and restarts and I do not know how to fix.  I submitted a ticket to support but they haven't contacted me.  I'm also seeing a "There's no endpoint listening at net tcp://localhost:17777 error.

Please advise on how to resolve.

Thanks in advance.

• Re: Orion Module Engine stops and restart
          bshopp

What version are you currently running?  The latest is 9.5.1, so if not on that, I recommend upgrading to that first

purdue98

I'm running NPM 9.1 SP5.  I intend to upgrade to 9.5.1 in two weeks, but in the meantime, I can't use Orion APM due to the Module Engine issue.

I  had a database issue this morning.  The error is below:

The operating system returned error 1167(The device is not connected.) to SQL Server during a read at offset 0x000000001b4000 in file 's:\data\MSSQL\data\MSDBData.mdf'. Additional messages in the SQL Server error log and system event log may provide more detail. This is a severe system-level error condition that threatens database integrity and must be corrected immediately. Complete a full database consistency check (DBCC CHECKDB).

Two minutes after the above error, the Module Engine began stopping and restarting.  I stopped all of the Orion services.  Then had the DBA team resolve the database issue and restart SQL.  Then I restarted the Orion services and the Module Engine continued to stop and restart. 

I reran the configuration wizard, repaired APM, reinstalled the Module Engine, confirmed the engineid column in both the Engines and Nodes tables both had a value of 1, and still the Module Engine is stopping and restarting.

bshopp

Best bet is to log a support case to investigate

purdue98

Support contacted me and the issue is resolved.

what information did they give you?

I know that this is a month old, but I think it would be helpful to everyone if you could let us know what they said.

I had this issue this morning, I simply stopped and started the service.  Easy Peasy, but I don't think my resolution is going to work for everyone. So knowing what they told you would be awesome!

purdue98

Support had me reinstall Orion NPM and its service packs.  After the reinstall, all my services restarted.

In my case, my database was down for 30 minutes and during this time, I had database corruption.  So even though NPM was up and running after the reinstall, I now had a database issue to resolve.  Support had me run the database maintenance and my error log, swdebugmaintenance.log showed lots of duplicate key errors in 6 of my tables.  Below are the tables with the duplicate keys.

dbm_CPULoad_DetailToHourly
                              dbm_CPULoad_HourlyToDaily
                              dbm_InterfaceErrors_DetailToHourly
                              dbm_InterfaceErrors_HourlyToDaily
                              dbm_InterfaceTraffic_DetailToHourly
                              dbm_InterfaceTraffic_HourlyToDaily

These duplicate key errors prevented the nightly summarization from occurring.  Orion NPM still worked but the nightly summarization wasn't occurring, causing my database to continue to grow approximately 10GB per night.   After we got a DBA involved and all duplicate keys were removed, my nightly summarization restarted and my database grew at a more normal rate.