13 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2010 9:04 AM by mayash@printpack.com

NPM on server 2008

mayash@printpack.com

I rebuilt my solarwinds server and moved from a server 2003 VM to a server 2008 VM and have started seeing weird issues. Nodes go into warning but when I open or hit the router nothing is found.. Not just a few but most of the sites have been doing this ever since the new server came online. I have pushed the timeouts up to 2 minutes for alert and warnings but still have the same problem.

Has anybody seen this before or have experience running 9.5.1 on server 2008?

• Re: NPM on server 2008
          ecklerwr1

Is your database also in the VM?  People have had many issues with trying to run their database from a VM.

mayash@printpack.com

Yeah it is running on a separate VM. I started this move because after upgrading to 9.5.1 I am no longer to manage the mode using the GUI. They have suggested a few things so I decided to start from scratch and just pointed it to the existing DB..The problem didn't go away and now nodes go in and out of warning all the time

webcrawlr

I'm currently running our NPM install in a 2008 Hyper-V VM with no issues. The database is also on the same VM (SQL 2008 Standard).

jspanitz

We also run NPM server and the SQL 2005 server on two VMware VMs.  No issues here.  We just updated to NPM 9.5.1 but we are still on W2k3.

mayash@printpack.com

This is a weird issue..It has Nodes going into warning but when I check the router and logs nothing shows up..One strange thing is it shows packet loss? But I see no errors on the WAN side and confirmed it using ICMP.

This all started when I moved form 2003 to 2008..I even set the timeouts to 800 ms. Any ideas on why solarwinds thinks it is dropping packets?

I run SQL/Windows 2008, although they're not on the same VM.

I had a similar issue for a while; phantom packet loss, weird latency and the like that wouldnt' show up in my diagnostics; when I'd hassle the server admin guys we found a correlation between v-motioning and the problems. This would happen even when my Orion box wasn't the one being v-motioned. It turned out the physical port on the blade chassis was getting pushed to max capacity.

I'd been griping so much about v-motioning the orion server killing my performance (which is very true, by the way - the web interface becomes basically unusable during a v-motion) that they decided not to ever v-motion my server - instead they just left me on one of the most active chassis and I suffered the consequences.

Moving it to a quieter chassis/blade fixed the problem. Don't know if you're in the same spot but it's worth looking at.