10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2010 2:21 PM by bshopp

ESX Question

setorres

Since data is being polled via the ESX web API, how about polling the volumes that the ESX server has and showing it on the ESX Node Details like normal volumes?

I see events for power on off of vms when i beleive im seeing VMotion migrations instead, is this a work in progress?

• Re: ESX Question

Hi setorres--

I'll also get this one to the NPM PMs--one of them will get back to you.

M

chris.smouse

Sean - it looks like we may be interpreting moves between ESX servers as turnoff/turnon events.  I am engaging the development team to determine how we can address this.

Thanks for the feedback!

chris.lapoint

Since data is being polled via the ESX web API, how about polling the volumes that the ESX server has and showing it on the ESX Node Details like normal volumes?

Thanks for the feedback and we hear you.   This won't be in 10.0, but being able to monitor ESX volumes, VM drives, and their mapping back to LUNs on the storage side is something we've definitely got on our radar.

I see events for power on off of vms when i beleive im seeing VMotion migrations instead, is this a work in progress?

I'm going to have someone from dev respond to this question.    Update: They already have ;-)

bshopp

So some quick background on this regarding polling volumes via the API.  So we plan to add that later, however, since in the past we used SNMP there was no way to map volumes polled via SNMP to ones polled via the API, so you would have lost all your history you had around volumes and interfaces.

So instead of doing this I decided to keep the SNMP portion for volumes and we will enable you to choose later which route to go

Karlo.Zatylny

Hi Sean,

I have some old diagnostics from you that don't show the ESX events during VMotion.  Is it possible for you to upload a new set and let me know when you get them to leapfile?

Thanks

netlogix

I setup an alert to send me an email when something vmotions, but I get an event for every guest reboot as a vmotion.

(Alert Trigger condition: "ESX Server Host NodeID" "has Changed")

Also can we poll the volumes in ESXi?  I don't see the stores, just the NICs.