6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2010 1:45 AM by Spiky

CPU stats on a Cisco 6500

rob_ib

We need to know what the generic CPU poller in NPM is polling to get the CPU stats on a 6500.  All along we have been trending and montioring an incorrect value.  The NPM states ~8%.  When we watch it wht the Cisco mib and or directly to the switch is 25-40%

Any ideas?

• Re: CPU stats on a Cisco 6500

I saw similar behavior with the 7600 series devices.  What I found was the CPU utilization OID returned multiple values (a table) on these devices and NPM appeared to be averaging all of the values together.  The first entry in the table contained the total cpu utilization number that I was looking for so I solved the problem by applying snmp views on the devices so that only the first entry in the table was returned.

Spiky

how do i create an "snmp view on a device"?

thanks

steve

Questionario

I think he ment that he created a custom poller which returns only the first value and created a web view for that.

I was referring to commands that are applied on the router to restrict which OID's the device responds to.   It appears that NPM averages all of the values returned in the CPU utilization table which can cause a large difference between what the router reports from the command line and what you see in NPM.  I found that the .1 index being returned in the CPU utilization table seems to correspond to what the router reports from the command line, so I configured the router to only respond with the .1 entry in the table.  The router configuration looks something like this:

snmp-server view nameofview mib-2 included
                    snmp-server view nameofview cisco included
                    snmp-server view nameofview cpmCPUTotalTable.1.4.2 excluded
                    snmp-server view nameofview cpmCPUTotalTable.1.4.3 excluded
                    snmp-server view nameofview cpmCPUTotalTable.1.4.4 excluded
                    snmp-server view nameofview cpmCPUTotalTable.1.5.2 excluded
                    snmp-server view nameofview cpmCPUTotalTable.1.5.3 excluded
                    snmp-server view nameofview cpmCPUTotalTable.1.5.4 excluded
                    snmp-server view nameofview cpmCPUTotalTable.1.7.2 excluded
                    snmp-server view nameofview cpmCPUTotalTable.1.7.3 excluded
                    snmp-server view nameofview cpmCPUTotalTable.1.7.4 excluded
                    snmp-server view nameofview cpmCPUTotalTable.1.8.2 excluded
                    snmp-server view nameofview cpmCPUTotalTable.1.8.3 excluded
                    snmp-server view nameofview cpmCPUTotalTable.1.8.4 excluded
                    snmp-server community public view nameofview RW 1

ecklerwr1

nice little router snmp view manipulation sedmo :}

snmp-server view

To create or update a view entry, use the snmp-server view command in global configuration mode. To remove the specified Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) server view entry, use the no form of this command.

snmp-server view view-name oid-tree {included | excluded}

no snmp-server view view-name

Syntax Description

view-name

Label for the view record that you are updating or creating. The name is used to reference the record.

oid-tree

Object identifier of the ASN.1 subtree to be included or excluded from the view. To identify the subtree, specify a text string consisting of numbers, such as 1.3.6.2.4, or a word, such as system. Replace a single subidentifier with the asterisk (*) wildcard to specify a subtree family; for example 1.3.*.4.

included | excluded

Type of view. You must specify either included or excluded.

Defaults

No view entry exists.

Command Modes

Global configuration

Command History

Release
                        Modification

This command was introduced.

Usage Guidelines

Other SNMP commands require a view as an argument. You use this command to create a view to be used as arguments for other commands that create records including a view.

Two standard predefined views can be used when a view is required, instead of defining a view. One is everything, which indicates that the user can see all objects. The other is restricted, which indicates that the user can see three groups: system, snmpStats, and snmpParties. The predefined views are described in RFC 1447.

The first snmp-server command that you enter enables both versions of SNMP.

Examples

The following example creates a view that includes all objects in the MIB-II subtree:

snmp-server view mib2 mib-2 included

The following example creates a view that includes all objects in the MIB-II system group and all objects in the Cisco enterprise MIB:

snmp-server view phred system included

snmp-server view phred cisco included

The following example creates a view that includes all objects in the MIB-II system group except for sysServices (System 7) and all objects for interface 1 in the MIB-II interfaces group:

snmp-server view agon system included

snmp-server view agon system.7 excluded

snmp-server view agon ifEntry.*.1 included

Spiky

great thanks, i'll give that a go