This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

NCM / NPM Integration

FormerMember
FormerMember

With these two products moving closer together I haven't seen any mention of integrating the events. ie. Jobs completed etc.

• Glad you asked.   I've listed below how we view our priorities as it relates to integration.   Please feel free to chime in if you'd like vote to prioritize differently.

1. Node management - ability for NCM nodes to be managed from Orion website "Manage Nodes" interface

2. Job management - ability to manage NCM jobs from within Orion website

3. Reporting - ability to leverage Report Writer on NCM database

4. Policy management - ability to manage NCM policy reports, policies, rules from within Orion website

5. User management / authentication - ability to directly leverage NPM users for authentication rather than linking to NCM users in Orion website

Thanks,

• I like the list, what are the thoughts about making NCM a module of NPM?  Option to buy in either a module or stand alone application?

• Right,  the NCM integration module that's currently available is intended as a step in that general direction.   The next step is to allow the NCM integration module to ship with the just the pieces of Orion "Core" it needs (e.g. website, syslog, traps, alerts, report writer, etc.) without requiring the customer to buy NPM.   Then, you'd be able to install NCM on top of the "Core" of Orion for standalone or both NPM and NCM together for integration.

• Chris - are these features anticipated to all be available in the next major release, or are we looking at these being available over a series of incremental feature releases?

• It's a pretty extensive list, so honestly, I don't think they will all make it into the next major release. We have a number of items on the road map right now, so please do chime in with your preferences on prioritization or any other features you think should be on the list. Once we have 6.0 out the door we'll begin sketching out features for the next release, so now is definitely the time to let us know your two cents.  Fwiw, in case you're wondering why we're always a bit vague about road map stuff - Denny wrote a nice blog post about it here

Christine

• 5. User management / authentication - ability to directly leverage NPM users for authentication rather than linking to NCM users in Orion website

I'm probably getting a little off topic here with this, but if NPM user accounts were to be used instead of linking with NCM would it continue to be a static password encrypted in the DB locally?

Or is there gonna be any move in the direction towards integrating NPM with a password management system like radius or tacacs or something?