16 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2012 7:01 AM by jamal

Modules on additional pollers?

patriot

I am planning for future growth beyond our current single Orion poller installation, and I want to be sure I know how much additional software I will have to buy for any additional polling servers I add to the network.

I know that I will have to buy the additional polling engine version of NPM for each new server, but will I also have to buy an "additional polling" version of all of the modules (NTA, APM, IPAM, IPSLA)? Can any of the modules be installed on multiple servers?

Thanks for the help. This will help me quote a good number to management.

• Re: Modules on additional pollers?
          brian_duvall

I believe you only need to buy the modules for the additional polling engines if you intend to use those modules on devices you add to that polling engine.

For instance if you want to send netflow data from a router that you added on the additional polling engine, you would need to have the netflow module purchased and installed on that server as well.

I don't own any modules but I believe that is how it works.

pacetti

That is, indeed, how Additional Polling Engines work.

patriot

Ok, so to be clear, I have to buy the software for each module application that I wish to run from an additional poller, right? And these additional modules are NOT the same part number as the version that is installed on the primary polling server?

The reason I ask is tha I heard somewhere that APM and IPAM (others too?) could now be installed on as many servers as needed using one installation file.

Not true?

chris.lapoint

Ok, so to be clear, I have to buy the software for each module application that I wish to run from an additional poller, right? And these additional modules are NOT the same part number as the version that is installed on the primary polling server?

Let me clarify.  You need to purchase/own Orion NPM additional pollers.   Then, if you own an Orion module, you can install the module additional poller on as many of your Orion additional poller(s) as you'd like at no additional cost.  A module additional poller will only install on a machine with an Orion additional poller already installed.

The reason I ask is tha I heard somewhere that APM and IPAM (others too?) could now be installed on as many servers as needed using one installation file.

That's correct.   IP SLA 3.x, APM 3.x, and NTA 3.6 all now provide a single installer for all module components.   Based on the type of Orion you run the module installer on (e.g. Orion primary server, Orion additional poller, Orion additional website), the module installer will automatically install the appropriate module component.  

IPAM does not currently support the concept of an additional poller.

Please let me know if this answers your question.

Thanks,

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          byrona

Hrm, maybe I am not following this but we had to purchase an additional item to be able to install APM on our additional poller in addition to purchasing APM to put on our primary NPM system.  The specific product we had to buy to do this was called "Orion APM v3 - Polling Engine ALX" which was in addition to "Orion APM v3 - ALX".

If I am understanding correctly, we should just have to buy the APM module (Orion APM v3 - ALX) for Orion NPM and we should then be able to install APM on any additional NPM pollers that we have purchased?

savell

It changed in APM 3.1 Byron (brings it into line with the other modules).

The release notes for APM 3.1 state:

Orion APM Additional Polling Engines are now FREE!
                              You no longer need to purchase a license to add Orion APM polling capabilities to your existing Orion NPM Additional Polling Engines. Use the same installer you used to install Orion APM to install your free Orion APM Additional Polling Engines.

byrona

So if this is true then I should be able to drop my maintenance cost for the "Orion APM Module for Orion SLX Polling Engine" product as that is now free with "Orion APM module ALX".

Is that correct?

patriot

Oooooookay! So, let me try one more time to see if I can get this straight using an example.

Say I have one primary polling server with Orion NPM, NTA, APM, IPSLA, IPAM, Engineers Toolset installed.

I also have two additional pollers. I will have to purchase the following for the additional pollers:

- one Orion NPM Polling Engine version for each of the additional pollers (two total)

- one SLX Polling Engine version of APM, NTA, IPSLA that can then be installed on both machines

Do I have it right now?

One more thing. Is it only me, or is the user community getting an inconsistent explanation of this from SolarWinds staff? Not trying to be ornery here, but this would seem to be a rather important concept to get consistent.

Thanks.

byrona

Patriot

I think the new model is actually much more simple than the previous model that they used.  If you have additional NPM pollers that you have purchased.  All you have to do is purchase the modules once (APM for example) and then you can install it on your primary NPM system as well as all of your additional NPM polling engines.

At least that is how I understand it and that makes a lot of sense to me.

bshopp

- one Orion NPM Polling Engine version for each of the additional pollers (two total)

- one SLX Polling Engine version of APM, NTA, IPSLA that can then be installed on both machines

This is incorrect.  The NPM Polling Engine is the additional poller.  Once you purchase the NPM poller, you DO NOT need to purchase additional pollers for the modules. You just need to install the modules on the poller to enable them.

patriot

So, regardless of whether it is an NPM POlling Engine version or the polling engine version of of one of the modules, I only need to purchase one copy that can be installed on as many pollers as needed?

If so, then one would only need to purchase the software versions for the primary poller AND one of each "polling engine" version.

Correct?

the_toilet

although i am pleased it is now free for the solarwinds community at large, i feel royally ripped off being that in the last 6 months i bought 2 APM additional poller licenses, and previous to that i bought 2 more, so i have purchased 4 in total.

I would have appreciated a direct email from solarwinds updating me on this before it was a global announced change.

Don’t suppose there is any chance of a refund so i can spend it on KIWI or something?

byrona

although i am pleased it is now free for the solarwinds community at large, i feel royally ripped off being that in the last 6 months i bought 2 APM additional poller licenses, and previous to that i bought 2 more, so i have purchased 4 in total.

I would have appreciated a direct email from solarwinds updating me on this before it was a global announced change.

Don’t suppose there is any chance of a refund so i can spend it on KIWI or something?

I feel for you as we are in a similar situation though we have had it for nearly a year now (in April).  I think the right thing for SolarWinds to do would be to pro-rate you a refund for the difference between when you purchased it and when it became free.

jamal

Hi guys;

I' ve also the same case; where I've 2 server ; the fist holding orion NPM ;10.2 ; APM 3.8on ; the second server hold only Additional polling Engine v2011.2;

what can 'I buy for maintenance ?

what do think for APM licensing  :

-orion APM  ALX licence with 1st year mainetance.

-orion APM module for orion SLX Polling Engine license with 1st year mainetance.

Regards