This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

An Unknown device and Alerts

Hi,

I have recently configured some basic Alerts in Orion Network Performance Monitor and they seem to be working ok. But i'm having some problems with the unknown flag.

We have just had some switches go down due to a comms issue, we was alerted a down and unknown message. How come SolarWinds is still seeing the device as being unknown when the switches are up and accessible. Has anybody seen this before?

Thanks,

• A little more information may help:

What kind of devices are these?  Ie. Cisco routers, switches, etc.

Are they showing as unknown under manage nodes or just in alert message?

When you added the devices could you successfully add with snmp as the polling method?

Have you tried to go to manage nodes... select the unknown device... and use the pull down menu on the right and try rediscover to see if that works if the devices show as unknown under manage nodes?

• Hi, thanks for your reply. Apologies for the lack of information.

What kind of devices are these?  Ie. Cisco routers, switches, etc.

They are 3750 Cisco Switches.

Are they showing as unknown under manage nodes or just in alert message?

They are showing a '?' - next to the node for each port in Orion Network Performance Monitor. We also received the unknown and down alert via SMTP.

When you added the devices could you successfully add with snmp as the polling method?

Yeah the device have been up and running for weeks, successfully polling and showing the statistics etc..

Have you tried to go to manage nodes... select the unknown device... and use the pull down menu on the right and try rediscover to see if that works if the devices show as unknown under manage nodes?

I didn't try and rediscover the device, after a few hours the node returned to up with out us doing anything. Just to add again, during the unknown period we could ping and telnet to the node.

Thanks,

Garry

• I sorted this my self. It seems you can only assign a single property to the Alert Trigger within a single Alert. Before I had a down, warning and unknown assigned to the alert trigger with a reset of up. I guess this was causing confusion, not sure. So to get round this, I've created 2 alerts with both having a reset trigger of up. One with an alert trigger of warning and the other with down. This works quite well.