This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Orion NPM Syslog rule IP source limitations?

I have about 300+ devices and believe we should be adding a couple hundred more devices in Q2 of 2010.  My inquiry pertains to Orion Syslog rules.  I'm trying to design how to configure syslog messages for specific nodes, but wanted to see if there were any limitations on the number of IP's I could set for a IP address list prior to beginning my work.  If it won't support about 500 IP's I can make other arrangements.  Are there any limitations?  I was researching through documentation, but nothing was provided.  Thanks in advance for your assistance :)

• There aren't any limitations that I'm aware of, but do you really want to point that much syslog at NPM? Unless you're keeping a low number of days your database is going to fall on its head. NPM isn't designed to be a syslog server; it's just something it'll do in order to catch issues and alert on them. Maybe running Kiwi Syslog might be a better idea if you really have to go that route?

• Thanks for your response.  There will be probably 300+ devices now.  We do have Kiwi Syslog but we wanted to centralize everything to Solarwinds.  I won't be collecting everything mostly, levels 0-4 but will only be alerting for levels 0-3.  We'll probably be fine tuning the notifications if our systems start overloading the server but this will be done in phases so as to not overload the system.  But good to know that there are no limitations.  Thank you again.