4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2010 9:05 AM by peterd51

setting up first interface in Workspace Studio

Hi,

this is new for me, I've not used Solar Winds or the forum before so apologies if this is the wrong place or something 'obvious' that I've missed.

I'm using Toolset version 10.4.0.57 on an XP PC.

I worked through the user guide chapter two last night and tried individual charts, gauges, etc, they worked OK.

Now I'm trying to use Workspace to set up interface monitoring...

new tab, drag 'interface chart' over, drag a device onto it,

select the device, click 'next'

leave it on all interfaces, click 'go'

tick the WAN interface

click 'bandwidth' (or any other on the bottom left panel)

I'm stuck at this point. The 'create chart item' doesn't light up so I can't click it.

I get the same with other 'interface' gadgets but 'reponse time chart', gauge, etc, seems to work OK.

Any ideas please?

I can see the bandwidth, etc, if I use tools under 'Network Monitoring', ie, bandwidth gauges pointing at the same router.

Regards
      Peter

• Re: setting up first interface in Workspace Studio

Hi,

after five hours of poking around we have our first display set up! :-)

I'm sure that we clicked on that little arrow before though.

So we can see an interface chart with inbound and outbound bps, we have it updating at 5 second intervals.

How could we set up a second chart on the same tab with bps as above but updating at, say, 2 minutes to give a longer-term view please? The timer seems to be global rather than set to an individual gadget.

Regards

Peter

I was too late; you figured it out =)

The polling interval is global, for a few reasons.  Mostly, it enables us to feed the data from the same poll to multiple gadgets; i.e. if you have the same interface represented on six different gadgets, the interface is only polled once per each polling interval.  The end result is that it minimizes the load on the device, and helps to maintain consistent data across the entire app.

You mentioned having a longer term view: The data that Workspace Studio gathers is limited to 10,000 data points per chart.  You can use the zoom feature to navigate through the data to get a closer look at an given time frame within what data is present.  However, if you need to view interface traffic stats over weeks, months, or longer, you may need to look at Toolset's Network Performance Monitor, or one of SolarWinds' other products like IPMonitor or Orion.

Hi,

thanks for the input.

I've been using PingPlotter and PRTG for some time. SolarWinds can do what they do in one screen, or tab, so it'll be better for day to day monitoring.

On PRTG I can see the last 30 minutes or so polled at 5 second intervals but it also has a lower screen showing five minute averages and shows the last 24 hours.

As you may know, users tend to report problems late, as in 3.00pm they say they had slow response at 10.00am. On PRTG I can glance at the screen and say that their link was or wasn't busy at that time.

Obviously we'll have to play with various things over the next few days or weeks until we get familiar with what works best for us.

Regards

Peter

Do you have both an interface and a stat checked?  Compare to the screenshot below.