This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Allied Telesis x600 & x908 switches

Hi All,

Has anyone got KiwiCatTools backing up config's with the above switches that are running AW+ OS?

I've tried device of ATI.Router.general and get "Failed to receive '# SYSTEM configuration' line in device config file" and if I try Cisco.router.general (apparently the new AlliedWare + is Cisco like...) I get "Login failed"

Cheers

Steve

PS Can telnet to device using confgured username / password

• If you can post a PuTTY capture of you manually logging in and issuing the backup command I may be able to help you better. Please **** out any sensitive data and I don't need to see the backup contents but it would be useful to see what any 'more' or paging prompts are like.

• Yes the recent AlliedWare Plus devices use a much different CLI than the previous Allied Telesis routers.

Does this help, Putty Log is attached (on a vanilla config).

Let me know if you need more info...

The default login/password is manager friend

exit terminates a session, space gets you the next page at the "MORE" prompt

Mike

• Now I looked a bit closer here is the rest of the information

Mike

(who is also a Kiwi, as in New Zealander)

• We can also provide telnet and ssh access into some devices in our lab here, if it will help.

Mike

• Hi there,

I'm *very* new to all this so I apologise if my 'help' is totally unhelpful in advance ;)

I am not sure that they're 100% the same since I've never used KiwiCatTools - but I got the impression that Kiwi became NCM? Either way given the fairly straightforward and powerful xml command specification templates NCM uses I'd be shocked if they didn't at least both have them.

First I should qualify what I'm about to say - 1) I'm new to all this; 2) I've had very little time to put the work into crafting a robust and functional device template yet - all I've got to do was have an initial play until I was at least able to get each of my devices downloading... I'm quite reluctant to share anything that I know is 90% incomplete - so I'll tell you what I did to get the download working.

I haven't tried to get the indirect one working yet - but yes you can use telnet.

for this device you must use:

USER

PASSWORD

and then issue an "ENABLE" -- with a *BLANK* password (at least ours is - I guess that could be configurable) - either way - put in whatever you put in when you say 'enable' - if you put nothing in then set the password to blank (twice). 

so you should have:

and then for the next bit - since we haven't got the SNMP related one ironed out yet we just rely on using telnet exclusively (hence the credentials above), and you make sure your 'Communication' config section looks like this:

So now all that's left to do is ensure that it has the correct CLI commands defined in the template file. I created a copy of the 'Generic config' - and so far have just changed that one line - for the download - so I'm a bit embarassed to post the whole thing, but ... oh what the hell - just remember I only changed the ONE line in this - so none of the other commands have even been looked at to ensure they wouldn't do something awful... although I notice it has "config term" in it and "end" to end config and I know those are right - so it may not be that bad - just please understand that this is not a solution I'm posting just some 'prework' that might help a fellow user :-)

<Configuration-Management Device="AT-AR750S" SystemOID=" 1.3.6.1.4.1.207.8.4.4">

<Commands>

<Command Name="RESET" Value="terminal width 0${CRLF}terminal length 0"/>

<Command Name="Reboot" Value="reload${CRLF}Yes"/>

<Command Name="RebootAt" Value="reload at ${HH}:${NN}${CRLF}Yes"/>

<Command Name="EnterConfigMode" Value="config terminal"/>

<Command Name="ExitConfigMode" Value="end"/>

<Command Name="Startup" Value="configuration"/>

<Command Name="Running" Value="running"/>

<Command Name="DownloadConfig" Value="show conf dyn"/>

<Command Name="UploadConfig" Value="${EnterConfigMode}${CRLF}${ConfigText}${CRLF}${ExitConfigMode}"/>

<Command Name="DownloadConfigIndirect" Value="copy ${ConfigType} ${TransferProtocol}://${StorageAddress}/${StorageFilename}"/>

<Command Name="UploadConfigIndirect" Value="copy ${TransferProtocol}://${StorageAddress}/${StorageFilename}  ${ConfigType}"/>

<Command Name="EraseConfig" Value="write erase${CRLF}Yes"/>

<Command Name="SaveConfig" Value="write memory"/>

<Command Name="Version" Value="show version"/>

</Commands>

</Configuration-Management>

The ones in bold are the ones I think are proper commands... although - sorry I think this is actually one for a different allied telesyn device ... come to think of it the x600's worked fine for downloading configs with no change...

hehe anyway I've come this far I may as well post it ... it looks like many of those commands are fine - but by the same token several are not (for example the x600 doesn't seem to let you say "terminal width" although it does have "terminal length"...

but I'm sure you get the idea - just put the commands you'd normally use into those definitions.

oh and one other thing - I haven't specified the download part correctly - it should be parametrised.

So the two commands would be:

# show running-config

# show startup-config

SO I should say:

<Command Name="Startup" Value="startup-config"/>

<Command Name="Running" Value="running-config"/>

<Command Name="DownloadConfig" Value="show ${ConfigType}"/>

and so when it issues the download directive it contructs the correct legitimate CLI commands for it.

so... sorry for the confusion, and the extremely amateur examples - but I hope it helped somehow.

Oh and I called the file:

"Allied Telesis AT-AR750S-1.3.6.1.4.1.207.1.1.74.ConfigMgmt-Commands"

and put it in 

"C:\Program Files (x86)\SolarWinds\Configuration Management\DeviceTypes"

*OH* and there we have it - obviously I created it for a AR-750S - on which you have to say "show conf dynamic" - heheh sorry again emoticons_wink.png but same difference... I got it to work on every single one.

(the x600 config downloading should *just work* as long as you configure it like I said above - ie the TELNET,TELNET,TELNET and the correct telnet user,password and 'enable'.

Oh! and make sure that if it's a device that defines access controls for admin functions that you do whatever you do to allow access. ie you should be able to telnet to it from the host NPM is running on and authenticate successfully).

cheers man

James

• sorry again for the useless post - I'm such a beginner that I probably can't even tell when I've totally misunderstood someone's question yet :)

oh and I just then also realised the implications of you using a different tool to NCM. a description of how I did it is hardly likely to help at all

• oh one other thing - the pages 81.49 - 81.56 of the x600 manual -- (C613-50014-01 REV A - Software Reference for x600 Series Switches - AlliedWare Plus Operating System - Version 5.3.4-0.1) cover the AT-FILEv2-MIB.

So that's going to be the place that explicitly defines the OIDs etc that would be required to do the 'indirect' download - ie by defining the device-specific details of how to trigger the TFTP file copy event by sending an SNMP event to the switch...

x600-24T - Software Reference - AlliedWare Plus OS 5.3.4.pdf

There we go - I just created a pdf of those few pages of the manual that I think will help - I hope that's not against the rules - I'm sure it's fair use...

hope that's helpful - I might try my hand at it now

• Hi James

It looks like you are using a AT Router for your Test device

Configuration-ManagementDevice="AT-AR750S" SystemOID=" 1.3.6.1.4.1.207.8.4.4"

These use the old CLI (Alliedware) where the commands are non modal (ie there in no enable, no conf term, and you enter a completer command on one line. All the commands are in the pattern

{Action} {Module} {Option}={Value} [ {Option}={Value} ]

For example

ADD IP INTERFACE=eth0 IP=10.0.0.1 MASK=255.255.255.0

The Action words at the beginning come in Pairs mostly and are how to reverse a command ADD and DELETE, CREATE and DISTROY and the unpaired SET, RESET PURGE and others

The AT-x600 and AT-x900 use completely different CLI (Alliedware Plus), to make a template for these you would be better to start with a standard Cisco one, not the AT-Router template.

Hope that clarifies.

Mike

• Going back to the OP

Maybe the login failure with the Cisco template would simply be that the default username password for most Allied Telesis products is manager/friend

Mike

• Wow -lots of things to try for an old post lol.

The latest version of KiwiCatTools has support for the "AlliedWare+ OS" (the reversed engineered CISCO OS) vs. the older "AlliedWare OS" so once the boss stumps up with $ I'm hoping this is all redundant anyway :)

I got around the issue by using KiwiCatTools TFTP server facility and running a regular script on the SBx908 to TFTP a conf dump to the server running KiwiCatTools. Does mean that I miss out on the comparision of conf's and also the alerts when the conf has changed though...