This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Delaying Email Alerts

Hey,

Just wondering if it is possible to delay the sending of an email alert to a specific time in the morning.

For example, I want to receive emails between the hours of 6am to 9pm, I also want to still get alerts from 10pm - 5am at night, but instead receive them the next morning at 6am.

Is this possible? If so how do I configure this?

• I'd use the 'Log alert to file' trigger/reset actions and then have something in a scheduled job scoop up the contents (if any) and mail them in the morning.

• Assuming you're using an advanced alert, simply go to the Time of Day tab and specify that this action (in this case, the e-mail alert) is executed between 6am - 9pm on your chosen days. Any e-mail alerts that you would normally receive outside of these hours (and assuming the alert is still triggered at 6am) will all be sent to you at 6am.

• Thanks for your replys,

I have configured the time of day tab. However the out of hours email alerts are not sent being sent at 6am.

This is how I have configured an alert with time of day:

• The general time of day tab is set to 24/7.
    • The specific email time of day is set to 6am to 9pm every day.

Am I doing this incorrectly?

• Assuming you're using an advanced alert, simply go to the Time of Day tab and specify that this action (in this case, the e-mail alert) is executed between 6am - 9pm on your chosen days. Any e-mail alerts that you would normally receive outside of these hours (and assuming the alert is still triggered at 6am) will all be sent to you at 6am.

If the trigger condition is met during sleepy time but stays active into the business day, why would the trigger action fire again after 6am? Are you thinking about using the escalation option to have the action fire every X minutes maybe?

• If the trigger condition is met during sleepy time but stays active into the business day, why would the trigger action fire again after 6am? Are you thinking about using the escalation option to have the action fire every X minutes maybe?

Don't confuse the Time of Day tab for the entire alert as opposed to the Time of Day for just the alert action. In this scenario, the alert is triggered but the action is not, at least until 6am.

• Thanks for your replys,

I have configured the time of day tab. However the out of hours email alerts are not sent being sent at 6am.

This is how I have configured an alert with time of day:
    The general time of day tab is set to 24/7.
    The specific email time of day is set to 6am to 9pm every day.

Am I doing this incorrectly?

This should be correct. Are the alerts still active at 6am?

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to qle

It is my understanding that the alert triggers are not put in a queue. If an alert is triggered, then it goes to the alert action, and if the alert action Time-of-Day requirement is not met then it will not complete that action.

Is there someone who could verify this? The Tech Reference regarding Advanced Alerts only mentions the Action Delay Timer, which you cannot set to a specific time.

• It is my understanding that the alert triggers are not put in a queue. If an alert is triggered, then it goes to the alert action, and if the alert action Time-of-Day requirement is not met then it will not complete that action.

Is there someone who could verify this? The Tech Reference regarding Advanced Alerts only mentions the Action Delay Timer, which you cannot set to a specific time.

That's my understanding/experience as well. I have a 9.5 on a VM here; give me a few and I'll test it out.

• I set up an alert action to fire when the trigger condition is met and made sure the alert action's time of day coverage didn't start until 20m later. I triggered the alert, waited 20m, and never got the email. It looks like I'm sticking with alert actions don't get queued up. Either it's the right time of day for them to happen, or it isn't.