13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2016 9:28 AM by plakend1963

backup/restore best practices

jswan

Is there a document out there describing best practices for backup/restore of a NPM and NCM environment?

• Re: backup/restore best practices
          bshopp

What are you wanting to backup and do?  Are you moving to a new server?

There are some docs on this page here that may help

Also, we have some native tools we ship in Orion under Advanced to backup some Orion settings

jswan

The sysadmins here are looking to create a step-by-step restore procedure for rebuilding our Orion installation in the event that either the NPM/NCM server or the DB server dies.

They are already backing up the database using their normal MS SQL server backup procedures, but what we don't have is a procedure for a) reattaching the server to the database if the DB server is rebuilt, or b) reinstalling NPM and NCM and getting the front-end working again if the application server dies (for example, what data needs to be backed up on the application server to ensure a successful restore, and how should it be restored during the rebuild/restore process).

pacetti

Generally:

1. Create a backup of your DB. For more information, see "Moving your Orion NPM Database (.pdf)".
                  2. Create a backup of your web console configuration. For more information, see "Managing Orion Web Console Configurations" in the SolarWinds Orion NPM Administrator Guide (.pdf).
                  3. Reinstalling NPM and NCM followed by the Configuration Wizard should allow you to reconnect to your new/restored DB.

So the application will have to be reinstalled and reconfigured? I was really hoping for a way to simply restore and maybe relicense it.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          pacetti

If you are neither uninstalling NPM/NCM nor changing the NPM/NCM server, running the Configuration Wizard should suffice.

I neglected to mention that if you are changing the NPM/NCM server, you should use License Manager to ensure your license gets carried over. For more information, see "Maintaining Licenses with License Manager" in the SolarWinds Orion NPM Administrator Guide (.pdf).

oiram

I think original question was about DR-type of restore from backup/image/snapshot of the server onto new physical/virtual box. I would be interested in that as well, especially from the licensing point of view (does the license need to be re-applied after restore).

willc

Folks,

After reading this thread and also the "Moving your Orion NPM Datbase", i still have a question. The document states " Right-click the name of your Orion NPM database (for example, right-click NetPerfMon), and then
                                  click Tasks > Backup. ", but what databases exactly do you need to backup here? On my database server i see the following:

1. System Databases
                                  2. Database Snapshots (which is empty)
                                  3. ConfigMgmt
                                  4. NetPerfMon
                                  5. ReportServer
                                  6. ReportServer TempDB

Cheers

W

willc

Suppliment to my post above can i add the following:

• Is it better to use the Solarwinds Database Manager to make the backup of the database?
                                      • Does the Web console configuration backup, backup the UNDP's, the custom tables and charts that i have created with them and which devices that they have been assigned to?
                                      • Does the Web console configuration backup, backup the maps that i have created using network atlas, including all devices/interfaces etc that are assigned to these maps?
                                      • What backs up the custom alerts that you have created as well as the custom reports and settings?
                                      • In regard device statistics up to the point of the backup, do these get restored ?
                                      • Im guessing that the database backup, backs up all device configuration backups to that point ?
                                      • In regards IPSLAM, will my operations be backed up by the Web console configuration backup?

What im looking for here are instructions for a complete restore of all my modules, settings and customizations inthe event of a major failure? Can this be provided please as all i can see here are shoulds and maybes and nothing concrete?

Thanks

W

pacetti

In this case, you should only need to backup NetPerfMon (NPM) and ConfigMgmt (NCM).

Note: NetPerfMon is no longer in use as the default database name in current versions of SolarWinds Orion products.

HTH,

Did you ever get an answer to this question? I'm preparing for a disaster recovery test right now and having recovery documentation for NPM would be a huge help.