3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2010 12:12 PM by juan kaliente

Network Inventory automation

juan kaliente

I have every Orion Tool:  NPM, NCM, Toolset, etc.  but I need a tool/app that can automatically/routinely (via a scheduled job) do SNMP discovery on a CIDR block for cisco devices (or any other specified device.. HP switch, etc) and store in an active database where I can extract out a seed file, do compares, etc.   I'm looking at opensource NETDISCO that I can build.     I want the functionality of IP-network browser, but be able to schedule the scan, and store in a available database.  Right now I can only manually run the scan, sort out what devices I want to keep, and export to a file.    Need something that is always running.   I have a large network.. 10,000 +  nodes (routers/switches)

• Re: Network Inventory automation
          macnugetz

We have scheduled scans in IPAM today.  We will be adding scheduled discovery to NPM in a future release.  Is this what you're looking for?

-Craig

bshopp

Juan, can you expand on this use case and what you are looking to do further?  So with LANsurveyor we have the ability to do a continuous discovery or on a periodic basis and you can run report on that.  Also as Craig mentioned, in NPM we are working on the ability to schedule discoveries using Network Sonar and you can choose whether or not to add those to Orion to monitor and then report on that.

juan kaliente

I'll have to demo LANSurveyor to see if that can work for me.   Basically as I described, run scheduled/continuous jobs based on CIDR blocks, and keep updated inventory.. just IP, hostname, system info..   Then I can periodically check against my NPMs and NCM dbs.  For now, I used IP-Network browser, have to manually run it,, then filter, then parse into XLS for NPM and NCM compare.    NCM node adds are great, NPM using that seed file import is not so good.    Thanks.    The free tool Netdisco is exactly what I want, keeps one SQL DB always current across my network.... it is very large.