7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2010 10:18 AM by lchance

how would i filter on interfaces which are UNPLUGGABLE

lchance

i created a scheduled report about events from certain nodes (which have a CUSTOM NODE PROPERTY).

now i don't want to include any event where an interface/port is flagged as UNPLUGGABLE. this particular report is based on the EVENTS.

how would i mass-create a CUSTOM INTERFACE PROPERTY where i could also use that as a filter?

i don't want to manually go through hundreds of Custom Property interfaces which are designated unpluggable. i hope i explained this ok...whew!

• Re: how would i filter on interfaces which are UNPLUGGABLE
          borgan

You can get this done using the Filter Results tab in Report Writer.

Set an elementary condition where "Status is not equal to Unplugged".

lchance

INTERFACE STATUS is not a part of the Filter Results for EVENTS.

The only parts are these:

NETWORK NODES

POLLING ENGINES

EVENTS

There is a Status for Network Nodes but it won't cover being 'unpluggable'.

lchance

there must be another solution to this which might be by using Advanced SQL - unless someone has a quicker solution.

my first thought is the time-consuming solution Custom INTERFACE Property.

qle

I don't know what the SQL query for your current report looks like but couldn't you simply add a condition to the query where unpluggable <> '1'?

lchance

Here's the SQL:

SELECT Events.EventTime AS Event_Time,
                          Events.Message AS Message,
                          Events_EventTypes.Name AS Event_Type_Name

FROM
                          Nodes INNER JOIN (Events INNER JOIN EventTypes Events_EventTypes ON (Events.EventType = Events_EventTypes.EventType)) ON (Nodes.NodeID = Events.NetworkNode)

WHERE
                          ( EventTime BETWEEN 40182 AND 40182.4166666667 )
                           AND 
                          (
                            (Nodes.Department = 'WIDE')
                          )

ORDER BY 1 ASC

The problem I have is this...

I'm trying to make this particular report based solely on the EVENTS template. BUT I want to avoid any 'port' event where a port was previously tagged as 'unpluggable'.

=I only want to see events from those ports which are hard-down and not those ports which are unpluggable=

However - when using Report Writer's EVENTS template, the FILTER RESULTS tab does not provide filtering on "Interface status" (unplugged)

qle

I understand what you're saying which is why I was following up on your suggestion for an advanced SQL solution. However, after testing it out, the solution wasn't as simple as I had suggested in my post. Anyway, after some self-education in SQL, I may have found a solution. See if the following works for you. Create a new Advanced SQL report and use the SQL query you posted. However, change the following:

FROM
                              Nodes INNER JOIN (Events INNER JOIN EventTypes Events_EventTypes ON (Events.EventType = Events_EventTypes.EventType)) ON (Nodes.NodeID = Events.NetworkNode)

WHERE
                              AND 
                              (
                                (Nodes.Department = 'WIDE')
                              )

to

FROM 
                              Nodes INNER JOIN (Interfaces RIGHT OUTER JOIN (Events INNER JOIN EventTypes Events_EventTypes ON (Events.EventType = Events_EventTypes.EventType)) ON (Interfaces.InterfaceID = Events.NetObjectID)) ON (Nodes.NodeID = Events.NetworkNode)

WHERE
                              AND 
                              ( Nodes.Department = 'WIDE')
                              AND
                              (Unpluggable <> '1' or Unpluggable is null)

Let us know how that works out for you.